STi timeout is back

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Paul Bambury, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Paul Bambury

Paul Bambury Standard User

Hi, well I have had the timeout error come back a few times again. Not as often now I have the power management turned off in windows. But none the less it is back. When it happens my Paramount MX plus also looses the connection, and the STi shows connected but is unresponsive. all other devices seem fine.
    I have run the driver checker and have the latest drivers.
    I have replaced pretty much all of my USB chain, ie hubs, power supplies etc so the only thing left is the STi. I would rather not have to get another camera as I like having a mechanical shutter for auto darks, but I am starting to believe this is my only other option.

Clear Skies

Paul

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

If the Paramount is also loosing the connection, I would not suspect the ST-i as the problem, unless I am missing some details.

What is the paramount connection plugged into? A USB hub? If 'yes', is the ST-i plugged into the same hub?

What software are you using to control the ST-i, and the Paramount?

3. Paul Bambury

The STi is connected to a Kendrick Astro USB3 powered hub. This is then connected to an Icron ranger. The mount is connected to the same Icron ranger. My ATIK 383L and the EFW2 filter wheel are connected to the USB3 hub. I have been through the device manager in windows and made sure all USB devices that have power management, have the allow windows to turn it of, deselected. I also created an Astro power plan, to make sure nothing is turned off ever while I am imaging.
    What was a little weird was that the disconnect happened while an imaging session was underway, this is run with CCDAP. The first one or two images are captured, and then sometime during the dither or when the next image is started the connection will drop. Last night this happened at the beginning of the session, then didn't re occur for the next 3 hours? I did notice CCDAP wasn't dithering the correct amount, but that's another issue. I also noticed that when CCDAP parks the scope it drops the connection to the mount. I will post over there to see what I can figure out with that.

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

When the ST-i becomes unresponsive, what do you need to do to reconnect it?

Once it becomes unresponsive, try:

1.) disconnect and reconnect the software.

If it is still unresponsive, go to step 2.

2.) power cycle the USB3 hub, and the Icron ranger.

If it is still unresponsive, go to step 3.

3.) power cycle the camera, mount.

5. Paul Bambury

To reconnect sometimes I have to reboot the laptop. Other times just click disconnect and reconnect. When I click disconnect it does take a while for that to happen, probably 30-45 seconds.