STL-11000 Future...

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Eric Africa, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Eric Africa

Eric Africa Cyanogen Customer

Hi all,

I am considering a purchase of an STL-11000 that Bill has just confirmed has the older KAI-11000M chip (vs the 110002).

As far as I know, the camera is working fine, but one future-proof item I am somewhat banking on is SBIG's service of transplanting a chip to a newer body.

Specifically, according to Bill the difference between the 11000 and the 11002 is a "Wedge Free Readout" mode in the 11002 that is not in the 11000. He is not sure if the STXL electronics will support an 11000 chip.

One note of hope I see is that the SBIG page on chip transplants (https://diffractionlimited.com/eyeball-transplants-give-new-life-to-old-sensors/) does list that the 11000 chip can be transplanted into an STXL body.

Again, note that I hope that this STL-11000 will run fine for many, many years to come (it was manufactured in 2007). But that I also hope that if it bites the dust but still has a usable chip, that I might be able to avail of the chip transplant.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I have reviewed the electrical specifications for both chips and they are the same - DC levels, AC levels, and timing. I expect your sensor would work just fine in an STXL body.

Bill likes this.
  3. Eric Africa

Eric Africa Cyanogen Customer

Thanks, Doug!