STL-11000 & STL FW8 CCD Distance Help Please

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Martin Farmer, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Martin Farmer

Martin Farmer Standard User

Hello All,

I have an STL- 11000 and STL FW8 filterwheel attached. I want to use this with my FSQ106 and focal reducer but I need to make a custom adapter to ensure the metal back distance is adhered to. Can someone please tell me the CCD to front of the filter case please. I don’t want to measure it and scratch anything. If you have this dimension I would appreciate it.

Many thanks
    Martin

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

3. Martin Farmer

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

According to documentation, the FW8 adds 0.35" backfocus.

Sold model shows the flat front surface of the FW8 is 1.55" from the sensor face. Not including the nosepiece adapter.

5. Martin Farmer

Hello All,

I have attached two PDF drawings I have done using measurements from various sources and in layout one the configuration is the standard STL camera and no nosepiece. The second configuration has the built in filter wheel removed and the STL FW8 added again with no nosepiece. Again some of the dimensions I have measured myself and others from scaling SBIG engineering drawings showing the camera cross section thats on the internet.

Are these dimensions correct or not? if not what is the correct figure please.

Regards
    Martin

Attached Files:

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

These appear to be close. I've measured on the CAD model.

For Layout Model 1, the mechanical distance between the front of the nosepiece adapter and the CCD sensor is 1.54", according to the CAD model.

For Layout Model 2, the mechanical distance between the front of the nosepiece adapter and the CCD sensor is 1.89", according to the CAD model.

The thickness of the nosepiece adapter in your drawings is correct.

Please note that this does not account for the thickness of the window glass or any filters.

The chamber window is 0.118" thick. The sensor window is 0.030" thick. The effect of the glass plate is to effectively increase the focal distance by approximately 1/3 the thickness.

Nick B. likes this.
  7. Martin Farmer

Thank You Doug for your time in confirmation of the dimensions. I also note your glass thicknesses too. I can now work out the adapter length I need going forward.

Thanks once again

Martin