STL-11000M: no Firmware

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by mogli73, Feb 13, 2016.

1. mogli73

mogli73 Standard User

I’m unable to connect my SBIC STL-11000M to a computer. I tried with WinXP (32Bit), Win7(64Bit) and Win10(64Bit).
    In Win7 and Win10 I could install the newest drivers with the DriverChecker64. The camera was visible in the device manager but the entry (the text) was strange: “SBIG STL Camera Without Firmware” (see screenshot) In Win10 it was the same issue. Of course I could not access the camera with the CCDSoft Program.
    I’ve also tried to download the Firmware from the Camera with the SBIGDriverChecker64 (tab: Firmware). But even there was a error message.
    When I click “get Firmware Version from Camera” I get the following message:
    “Error: Could not establish a link to the camera. Please make sure it is attached via USB and try again. “
    I think the camera has lost ist firmware.
    Can you send me a tool and an actual firmware for this camera?
    Thank you!
    Best regards
    Manuel

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

That "strange" entry is normal and correct. On my Win 7 64 machine, my camera lists as "SBIG STL Camera without Firmware" in the device manager - that is correct.
    The STL-11000M does not have user-programmable firmware. It can't be updated by the user.
    The newer SBIGs like the STXL can have their firmware updated.
    Windows is correctly showing the camera in your screen shot.

There must be a different problem - with the software you are using to control the camera.
    Have you tried CCDops ? https://www.sbig.com/support/software/
    I don't know if the old CCDSoft will work - I haven't used it in years.

3. mogli73

mogli73 Standard User

Hi!
    Thank you for your answer!!
    I try the program!

4. mogli73

mogli73 Standard User

Just saw, that I already installed this program.
    In the “Misc” menu I selected USB.
    But when I try to connect the cam via “Camera” and the “Setup…” command I get:
    “No camera could be found. Please make sure it is connected to the correct Port and that the Graphics/Comm Setup command in the Misc menu ist setup correctly.”

5. mogli73

mogli73 Standard User

I’ve found some screenshots from my old WinXP (32Bit) device manager. There it says:

SBIG USB Camera With Firmware

See screenshot

Attached Files:

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

That is another SBIG driver component, totally ok. I've just fired up my observatory computer, and see that I get the SBIG USB Camera with Firmware you have screen shotted. Again, Windows is seeing the camera.
    What happens if you go Camera->Camera Info in CCDOps?
    Have you replaced the USB cable and tried a different port? Eliminate any USB hubs. Is it powered from the standard AC power pack?
    Has the camera ever worked? What changed since the last time you used it?
    I don't have a lot of other ideas, because if it is showing up with one of the two driver names, the camera is being seen by the OS.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I forgot to mention: On a working system, if you use SBIGDriverChecker64 firmware tab, and do the "get firmware version from the camera", it will say:
    Error: Found a camera that doesn't require firmware uploads. Simply update the Drivers and reboot the camera.

8. mogli73

mogli73 Standard User

Yes, I tried several USB-Ports. And I changed the USB cable. No USB-hubs - the camera is connected directly.
    Yes, original AC power supply.

Yes the camera use to work. But unfortunately it got some snow/rain. But at this moment, it had no power. We dried everything. The components inside look good.

When I click “get Firmware Version from Camera” I get the following message:
    “Error: Could not establish a link to the camera. Please make sure it is attached via USB and try again. “

What is your driver setting in the SBIGDriverChecker64?

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Well if it got wet - then its probably hardware. I'm guessing it will need to be sent to be repaired.
    When you say "it had no power" - have you checked the power supply for correct operation - e.g. +12V output?
    Have you checked for the usual Windows USB connect sounds when you plug in / unplug the USB cable? Does the fan run?
    Screen shot of driver settings below.
    sbigdriverconfig.png

10. mogli73

mogli73 Standard User

Thank you for the screenshots!!
    This is helpful. Can you post screenshot of you devicemanager with the cam on?

The power supply didn't get any water. I can't check it right now. But I think it is ok.

11. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Mogli,

I'm not quite clear, is the camera up and running and you can't establish a link? or is there no response to power? If it appears to be dead/no response to power, try another USB cable, if that doesn't help then it likely needs to come in for repair. If the camera is running, fan is on... and software/drivers are ruled out, then it needs to come in as well.

-Bill

12. mogli73

mogli73 Standard User

The Camera is visible in the device manager (“SBIG STL Camera Without Firmware”, see screenshots in Post #1), and the fan is running.
    But only a few time I’m able to setup a connection to the camera. And it it works, the connection fails after the first light.

Is there a way to check the USB-Port by myself?

13. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Software is my weak point, I would think that if it shows up in the Device Manager, you should be able to connect.