Resolved STL autoguider issue

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Alan Josefsek, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Alan Josefsek

Alan Josefsek Cyanogen Customer

Now I am having a problem with the STL 6303e vs Maxim DL vs the auto guider. Every time I try to calibrate it gives -11 error. There is not calibration activity going , that I can see. What am I doing wrong? Last night it worked, but we did get the same error. Can't shake it. L-500 and cdk20 alt-AZ mode

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Alan,
    Sorry to hear this. Anyway, it might have been better to start a new thread, but let's get to it.
    Let's start with the basics:

Give us a list of everything in your setup -
    Software: e.g. MaxIm 6.20, PWI 4.02, ASCOM 6.4SP1, SBIG Driver Checker 4.05?
    Hardware: e.g. STL-6303e with internal guide sensor, FW8-STL, AO-L, PW Rotator/Focuser, L-500 mount, CDK 20, ASCOM Direct Guide (not an ST-4 cable), latest firmware downloaded for the STL and guider (if a separate camera).
    or whatever it is you have - eg separate guide camera, or remote guide head and a MOAG, etc.

Can you zip up your MaxIm Settings folder (under your Documents\) and use the Upload a File button to the lower right to attach them to your response?

Also, upload a copy of the Log Window - with Debug turned on
    And the tracking log - from Options... Tracking Log

If you have an AO-L in the mix, have you tried Calibrating with the AO-L off ?
    Because the STL is a USB1.1 camera, and a bit slow to digitize and download, am wondering if there is a cadence issue where the camera is busy.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

4. Alan Josefsek

OK I'll try to zip it tonight.
    Dual Chip mode is checked.
    AOL not sure if it is meant or be physically of or just through MaximDL? And if so how?

It worked once fine. It tracked great for a 10 minute image.
    I assume you have to recalibrate on each object since it is Al-AZ, or am I wrong? I roll it out of my garage so each time I do new mount Model (t-Point)

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You do not need to recalibrate the AO itself, just the drive (drive tab).

6. Alan Josefsek

Attached Files:

7. Alan Josefsek

I hope tis what you need. This is an image of a settings screen. I noticed the Longitude was missing I added that tonight. upload_2019-2-11_23-26-27.png

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What version of MaxIm DL are you running?

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I asked hin for the list of versions etc., , but he didn't respond.

10. Alan Josefsek

11. Alan Josefsek

Just reupped..

upload_2019-2-12_20-28-57.png

Sorry PC with Maxim DL was at home I was at work.

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Is it possible to remote into your system to do some testing? This could be on your desk; doesn't have to be on the telescope.

13. Alan Josefsek

Surely, but I am at work. I can do it around 7 pm tonight. PC is at home.

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I think we just figured it out.

Make sure you aren't using the AO plug-in (SBIG w/AO) if you are doing "ordinary" autoguiding. It won't work. You need to use SBIG Universal for that.

15. Alan Josefsek

Not sure but I think I am using SBIG w/AO in the setting box, since it has AO. I would like to use AO, at some point, if it will work. I will have to look at that setting. Do I need to upgrade to a newer version of Maxim DL since PW4 and PW3 has been updated last year? Is there one or am I on the latest version?
    Setting(s) with STL w/ AOL to use AOL and settings to use but not suing AOL, if possible

16. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay then, that's definitely the problem.

If you're using the Guide Tab, switch to SBIG Universal for now.

When you want to use the AO later on, switch back to SBIG w/AO.

I don't know about the PlaneWave stuff, but V6.18 is very close to current. I can't imagine there would be any incompatibility. The changes from V6.18 to V6.20 mostly relate to the Observing Conditions ASCOM interface.

17. Alan Josefsek

OK I will give it a try. I thought you were suppose to set it to the device you have.. i.e., -S BIG w/AOL, Oh well!! Not sure when the weather will cooperate I'll be in touch either way. Thanks.

18. Alan Josefsek

Ok the guider worked ! Thanks Didn't try the AOL for lack of time. If I roll the scope out each time do I need to re-calibrate the AOL and/or the guider ?

Attached Files:

19. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If you don't rotate the camera in the eyepiece holder then you shouldn't need to recalibrate anything.

You never need to recalibrate the AO unless you unbolt it from the camera. If you rotate the camera assembly relative to the telescope then you have to recalibrate the AO drive bumps, but not the AO itself.

20. Alan Josefsek

Its an L-500 Plane Wave ALT-AZ mount it necessary rotates, I have the IRF90 de-rotator. So that means to me I would have to re-calibrate on every object or if I change the rotation angle, which it is doing while its a tracking. Or is this not what you mean?