STL11000M Filter Wheel Problem

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Stillhouse Observatory, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Stillhouse Observatory

Stillhouse Observatory Standard User

Hi-

My vintage STL11000 has been working very well. I had a problem with frost, so I baked the desiccant and took the opportunity to clean the filters.

I tried to run sky flats tonight, but the filter wheel isn't working properly. In particular, the filter wheel is stopping in between filters. So, instead of stopping right where the clear filter is, it will stop halfway between two filters. I went back to look at the flats, and they all,had filter position problems.

I opened up the camera, and the filter wheel is turning as smooth as silk. Nothing at all is binding up.

Can you suggest how to address this problem?

I plan to examine the camera with CCDOps as soon as I have a chance. I'll take a series of 1 second images with different filters, and watch the filter turning (looking down the nosepiece with the camera closed.)

There is a spring/motor assembly that turns the wheel. Should I adjust the tension? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Maybe check the optical sensor that looks at the lines on the edges of the filter wheel.

3. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Rob,

Give me a call, 805 308-6979, during the week and we can talk about this.

-Bill

4. Stillhouse Observatory

Stillhouse Observatory Standard User

Hi Bill and Colin-

Thanks for writing. I think I got it fixed. I found a loose screw on the board that holds the little white connector between the filter wheel and camera. I tightened the loose screw, and ran some tests. The filter wheel was working properly when I changed the filter while looking through the nose piece before I reinstalled the camera. I then reinstalled the camera, and it's running right now in the observatory. So far, the filter has been working properly.

So I think the camera is back in business.

Rob