STLX FW8 Filterwheel error 20

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Anders Hörberg, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Anders Hörberg

Anders Hörberg Cyanogen Customer

Hi Guy´s

Bought back in the day ( 2013 ) a STXL 11002, FW8-STXL filer wheel, and MaximDL pro, hooked it up to a 10Micron mount and a GSO-RC-12, and used it without any problem for a full year!!....then i had to move....Bummer..

Anyway, now around 10years later i got to see clear skies again and unpacked everything assembled it and downloaded the new Maxim DL (trial) however Huston we have a problem

Camera seem to work ok...sometimes.... but filterwheel is acting up ... getting strange hangups.. mainly with the filterwheel where Maxim say Error 20, and also sometimes camera not responding..
    Running with ethernet cable to camera...And wireless connection to my laptop

Anyone have an idea?

BR

/ Andy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

If this equipment has been sitting, here's a suggestion:
    CCDops has a Filter... CFW Exerciser function. You might want to use that for several minutes, get the FW moving again.
    Also, did you visually check the interior of the filter wheel around the carousel? Does it spin properly? Belt ok?

3. Anders Hörberg

Hi Colin

Thanks for your answer, yes- everything checked, works fine on USB, but not via TCPip for some reason

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

From the driver checker, I see the camera firmware is not current.
    I suggest you uninstall the driver checker, download and install the latest version, update the drivers, and then check firmware again. If it is old, then update it.
    After that, i'd check your network setup, cabling, ethernet switches, etc.
    Make sure Windows Power Management is not powering down the ethernet link.

5. Anders Hörberg

Hi Colin, clear skies yesterday, tried it - problem was latency in the wireless router = solved

2 questions please.......downloaded MaximDL ver 6 as tryout...( i already bought PRO back in 2013, but have forgotten the password for login and i dont have the same adress anymore and i guess its no meaning trying to update the old version anyway..)

However, used the night vision once, but even if you turn it off all borders around the boxes and help boxes are still red, how the heck do you turn that off???

and 2

Was playing around with the STXL with FW8 on a celestron C8, nice vinjetting LOL, whats the optimal focal distance on something like the C8....., i mean, the STXL + FW8 has 59.4 mm optical focus from the FW8 body to sensor..

Any idea?

BR

/A

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

1. I can ask my colleagues to see if they can find your old license. Send me a PM with your old email address.

Night vision mode has limitations caused by the changes in the Windows GUI over the years. Not sure we can solve it.

2. LOL for sure.

The 11002 is a full frame sensor that is 37.3 x 25.7 mm, or 45.3mm diagonal.
    The C8 has too small an image circle to fully illuminate an 11002. So the yes, the vignetting is going to be bad.
    The baffle tube and exit ports are several mm smaller than the size of the chip, so light will fall off substantially toward the edges, and the light cone just won't cover it.
    Nothing you can do about it on a C8. Even the Edge HD version has only about 30mm of flat field illuminated image circle... they claim about 42mm, and that is addressable a bit with flat fields.

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

There's only one Horberg in our database. I'll send you your license via private message. It's pretty old.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

And yes Microsoft has never been very friendly with night vision mode, and they've made it much worse over the years. We're doing what we can on that, within the limitations. A red filter on the screen is rather more effective.

9. Anders Hörberg

Hi Doug i sent Colin a private message a minute ago regarding Maxim, and thanks i´ll check the private mess...

Considering night vision it´s really annoying not to be able to reset it
    Whatever i do, all boxes are still red around the corners and all help menues is red, isent there some inifile to delete, cant read the darn thing :)

Reinstall ??

BR

/A

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Microsoft has been moving towards making it impossible for the application to change things that impact other apps and the desktop. Rather than helping it tends to make a hash of things.

Try this:
    • Open MaxIm DL.
    • Turn on Night Vision.
    • Turn off Night Vision.
    • Close MaxIm DL.

If that doesn't help, then right-click on your Windows desktop and select Personalize. Click the Colors tab. Select your color scheme - that should reset it.

11. Anders Hörberg

Solved it...

Had to change to high contrast and back again for win10 to respond, nothing else worked

Thanks

BR

/A