STT-8300 and Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Philippe Barraud, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Philippe Barraud

Philippe Barraud Cyanogen Customer

Hi,
    I am trying to use a rather old computer with Windows Vista for imaging. Now I finally can connect the camera, but when I attempt to image, I get an error message saying :"Camera error (5)".
    Any idea how I can fix this ?

Philippe in Switzerland

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What software are you using?

Have you updated to the latest SBIG drivers? (Use SBIGDriverChecker, available from the STT-8300 camera page under the downloads tab.)

3. Philippe Barraud

I am using MaximDL 5 Pro. I have updated the drivers, that of the STT-8300 included. The camera connects normally and cooling works fine, but no imaging.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

5. Philippe Barraud

Thank you. I will check this as soon as possible.

6. Philippe Barraud

I tried to use the CCD with MaximDL6 on another computer with Windows 8.1. But no way to connect the camera !
    I am sorry to say that MaximDL needs some work from your software people to make it just easyly usable, without wasting hours trying to just connect a camera and, with much luck, start imaging !
    By the way, is there another software that can be used with SBIG CCDs, possibly more user-friendly ?

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Did you install the SBIG Drivers on that other computer?
    Is the camera listed in the Windows Device Manager?
    Did you realize Microsoft dropped support for Windows Vista in 2012, eight years ago?
    Have you tried our free CCDops software to test the camera?
    Are you using a known-good short USB 2.0 cable between the camera and the PC directly?

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I don't believe this is a problem with MaxIm DL. Connecting to SBIG cameras "just works"... and it has for decades.

The best way to check this is to try our free CCDOps software, which you can download from: ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/InstOps.exe

If it doesn't work either then it is a camera driver problem or hardware problem.

9. Philippe Barraud

I finally downloaded MaximDL 6 again, changed the USB cable, and now it works.
    Thank you for your help !

Philippe