Resolved STT-8300 Auto Guiding Sensor issue

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by higbyrichard, Jun 4, 2018.

1. higbyrichard

higbyrichard Standard User

Is there a known issue where the STT-8300M will auto guide with the main sensor but not the internal guiding sensor? CDD Ops used on Win 10 platform and mount calibrated for each sensor and success confirmed.
    • With the small guiding sensor as the active sensor, the EM 400 Tak mount can be moved with tabs indicating that the main cable between Camera and Mount is OK.
    • The smaller guiding sensor will also take an image hence me being baffled so its should auto guide on the auto selected star.
    • Changing to the main sensor for guiding, no problem.
    At wits end. Would appreciate any ideas.
    Many thanks
    Richard - Tasmania.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Did you recalibrate the guider when changing sensors? It has a different image scale so it won't guide the same.

Also, in what way did autoguiding fail? Error message? Star drifts off target? etc.

3. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

There isn't an "internal guider" in a STT. The guider in the Filter Wheel is an "external" guider.

-Bill

4. higbyrichard

Thanks guys. Bill, the external guider on the Filter Wheel. Just differentiating between that and a separate external guide scope. A very good point however.

Many thanks Doug. You gave me pause! Yes I did re-calibrate when changing sensors. Now I did get a strange error report when trying to guide with SkyX Pro. It read "Dithering Guide Star" and would not guide. That's when I turned to CCDOps and attempted to guide with each sensor in turn. I have been using SBIG cameras for 20 years and have never seen that report. I will clear the logs tonight, clouds willing, jiggle the wires (you never know) and with care try again and touch bases again if that's OK with my Logs. Still baffles me that we can have a successful calibration and still not guide on the smaller sensor.
    Cheers, Richard.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

"Dithering Guide Star" would be a SkyX feature (MaxIm DL has something similar). It's purely a software function, though it does send commands to the hardware. If it's not working properly, then probably there's a setting issue in SkyX. You should be able to turn off the dither feature.

6. higbyrichard

Hi Doug,
    After a few failed attempts we got CCDOps to Self guide using the Filter wheel's sensor. Have uploaded a file. Will try again tonight and report if that's OK.
    Your point on "Dithering" is noted and I have taken it up with Bisque. One issue straight away is one cannot "Dither" the guiding sensor image in SkyX only the main sensor image.
    Importantly for me here on the other side of the world is that it is looking more like a software problem rather that an SBIG Camera problem and all that that entails. Tonight is another rare clear night here. Thanks for your patience.
    Regards
    Richard

Attached Files:

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The log looks good. I'll mark this as resolved for now.

8. higbyrichard

Thanks Doug. Appreciated.
    Richard