STT 8300 self guiding filter wheel jams/binds periodically

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Rodd, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Rodd

Rodd Cyanogen Customer

My STT-8300 filter wheel (self guiding) periodically bind up--or jams, resulting in a freeze up that requires me to power down the camera--exit Maxim. When I power up the camera it triggers the homing command and the wheel tries to home. Sometimes it has to work pretty hard to overcome the bind and I hear a calamitous racket coming from the camera. Most times it does overcome the bind and homes and I can resume imaging--needing to reframe of course. Sometimes, however, it cannot unbind itself and I have to remove the camera from the scope and manually home it. This is a disaster, for I can never find the same camera angle (even with a CAA)--which means all my flats are useless. Naturally--if I hadn't captured flats yet for a filter run earlier in the night--that data is useless.

I have sent the camera to SBIG 3 times and it has been given a clean bill of health each time. The cables are in good shape--I have new power bricks and I run off current--so the battery is not the issue. I am thinking it could be the metal arm equipped with a revolving cylinder that falls into the depression between filter positions in the filter wheel carousel. This arm locks the filter wheel into place. This arm is forced against the filter wheel by tension from a wire/spring. I am thinking that this tension may be too high, resulting in the motor not having enough torque to overcome the pressure and move the wheel. Its just an idea. That spring and/or the arm assembly in its entirety should be able to be replaced.

Anybody know if I can adjust or replace this spring or arm assembly myself?
    Thanks--Rodd