STT-8300M and self-guiding filter wheel FW8G or ST-i Guider?

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Chris Anderson, Jun 8, 2016.

?

STT-8300 best guiding options?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2016.
  1. FW8G-STT self-guiding filer wheel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. My existing ST-iC and guiding kit and non-guiding filer wheel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. STT Remote Guide Head with guiding lens kit?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Take up golf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Cyanogen Customer

Hello.

I am thinking about purchasing an STT-8300M. I have an existing ST-iC with SBIG guiding lens kit.

My imaging scope is a Takahashi FSQ106EDXIII @f/3.65. Wondering if the FW8G-STT would be worth it over the existing ST-iC guide scope I have? Or should I just go for it and get the guided filter wheel? The guided filter wheel only costs me $400 more than non-guided version, and I guess I could always sell the ST-i assembly I already own.

I'm not sture about field stars with the on-axis guider like the FW8G and my scope. I'm thinking I'd probably not have too much trouble considering the FOV. But how much more trouble is messing with the guided filter wheel versus the external ST-i?

And then there is the STT Remote Guide Head I could integrate with a guiding kit, but that'd be about the same I suppose to my existing ST-i. Guess it boils down to weather I wanna mess with dual cameras or dual chips?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

CG

2. Craig Smith

Craig Smith Standard User

The self-guiding filter wheel is pretty slick. It isn't very hard to manage the focus or the location (in and out) of the pick-off mirror because both are controlled by knobs on the filter wheel case.

The chip in the self-guiding filter wheel is sensitive, similar to the st-i mono, and I can't imagine you would have any issue finding guide stars in your TAK. It's a non-issue in my TEC140. Also, the SGFW includes optics to increase the FOV and increase sensitivity.

One point to keep in mind is that with the self-guiding filter wheel you will only have one USB cable coming from the camera. This may limit your image acquisition software choices. Obviously if you use MaximDL, it isn't an issue and Sequence Generator Pro can also handle it. Beyond those two, I'm not sure what else is out there. Obviously, if you maintain your separate guide camera, more choices might be available.

My personal philosophy is that an OAG is always better than a separate guide scope. Less opportunities for things to go wrong, for differential flexure, etc. So that's the way I would lean... But, either way should work well with your TAK.

Good luck with your decision!
    Craig Smith

Chris Anderson likes this.
  3. Chris Anderson

Craig:

Thanks! I plan on using MaxIm DL. I appreciate your response. CG

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If you want to add an AO-8 to your system, then going with the self-guided filter wheel is a no-brainer - you have to guide through the AO. If you don't want to use an AO, then other options may make sense.

There's no point in switching to a remote guide head. It's basically half-an-ST-I, using the STT camera as the other half. It will gain you little except using one less USB cable.

I guess the big question is - "is your guide scope doing the job?" If yes, and you have no flexure problems, then I'd stick with what you have.

If no, then the self-guided wheel is an excellent solution.

5. Chris Anderson

Hadn't even integrated AO into my equation. At my f/ ratio, not sure it's a problem? However, sounding like self-guided make the most sense. But thanks! More options to think on. CG