STT Autoguiding Questions

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Jim Morse, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Jim Morse

Jim Morse Cyanogen Customer

I have a new STT8300 with the built in filter wheel autoguider. I am working with Bill on the guider possibly being defective since it won't image (even with CCDOps5 in the self guiding and calibration routines; though it will work in the autoguide routine, go figure) but I also want to make sure of a couple of things. First off, I use SkyX Camera Add-on for image capture and guiding and never had any issues using my STF8300 and ST-i guider. With the STT system, however I ran into a couple of problems. First, I could never get an image on the autoguider. Second, when I gave up and tried using my ST-i for guiding instead, I ran into issues there as well.

In setting up SkyX CAO for my STT system, I selected the only SBIG guider setting that looked applicable, namely "Imagers built-in Autoguider" under the SBIG tab. If that is the wrong setting and I should use something else, please advise.

Second, when I tried to use my ST-i with the STT, I couldn't calibrate the guider, nor would to do any dithering (it was a long two nights manually dithering between every frame). Is there something in the STT architecture or in the CAO which won't allow it to play nice with an ST-i even when the STT guider cable is detached and I run the ST-i separately from the STT?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Please contact Software Bisque for help with TheSkyX. They're the experts on that.

The STT shouldn't even be aware of the ST-i when you are running two cameras. The SBIG driver includes a camera index. When the control software calls a driver function it provides that index so the command goes to the correct camera. It's really simple - command goes to camera 1 or camera 2. Maybe it's a software setting issue?

3. Jim Morse

Jim Morse Cyanogen Customer

I have been working with Bill on the filter wheel guider and he suggested I post here. Weird things are happening and Bill thinks it may be a software issue. As indicated above, I have not been able to get the autoguider to take any images with Camera Add-on. It connects, but gives me either an empty image, a black image with a big light section on the edge or corner (but which is not a star since it never comes into any better focus) or one with tons of horizontal streaks. At Bill's suggestion, I tested it last night with CCDOps5 and got half way home. I was able to get an image under track and accumulate, but just a blank image or one with the streaks with self guide and calibrate. I tried all of them repeated times, always with the same result in each test. I was able to connect right up (same with Camera Add-on) using the external guider setting for the STT so its not how I'm connecting. I also made sure I was using the latest drivers from the SBIG downloader before running the tests. Any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Please upload one of your streaky images in FITS format (use CCDOPS not TheSkyX please).