STT3200 shutter trouble

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Roger Groom, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Roger Groom

Roger Groom Standard User

The shutter on our STT3200 has started playing up in the last couple of days. It seems to not move consistently, sometimes successfully opening and closing but other times being left partially open or fully open and software receiving a a "Shutter Error" or such message.

Here are two videos indicating the problem during which I told it to take continuous 1 second exposures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8opt68iz38iy36u/2017-10-31 20.14.24.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26lyppebjp4kgef/2017-10-31 20.25.59.mov?dl=0

Have tried it in MaximDL, CCDSoft and CCDOps.

I have removed the rubber band on he shutter and tested the shutter disk rotates freely.

Where to from here?

Thanks,
    Roger.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It might be a magnetic sensor alignment issue.

Perhaps Tim or Bill can chime in...

3. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Yes, it looks to have lost its way, not being seen by the sensor. Does the camera show up as a STT-3200 in the Camera Config?

-Bill

4. Roger Groom

Thanks Bill & Doug.

The camera does show up at an STT-3200.

The shutter uses a magnetic sensor? I assumed optical like the old filter wheels. I wondered about blowing out the area near what looks like the sensor with compressed air orsuch but it all looks perfectly clean.

Regards,
    Roger.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It's magnetic. If it wasn't working it would be a mechanical alignment problem. Or the wires got unplugged. The sensor is under the wheel near the edge; have a look and see if there's an obvious issue with it. If not then the camera may have to go to Bill for service.

6. Bill

The 3 small silver "dots" around the perimeter of the wheel are actually magnets. The camera is getting sufficient power, yes?

7. Roger Groom

Today I tested the power supply and it's reading normal 12v (12.15 I think it was) steady. I plugged in the camera and powered it up again to confirm the configuration and definitely STT 3200 shown. No change in shutter behaviour. Where to next? :)

Thanks,
    Roger.

8. Bill