STX 16803 Failing to Maintain Temperature

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Mark McComiskey, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Mark McComiskey

Mark McComiskey Cyanogen Customer

I have a new STX 16803 (purchased about a year ago as you were discontinuing the model, but only started to use it in November).

For now, I have standardized on -10C as the temperature.

I have been operating it in my backyard, where ambient temperature has ranged from roughly -7C to +10C over the past few months.

The camera appears to struggle to maintain the set temperature of -10C, with variability in both directions.

For example, last night I set out to build a new Dark, with 100 exposures of 10 minutes each at -10C. The ambient temperature when I started was -3C and the coldest it got last night (per my weather station) was - 7C. The first 18 frames were at -10C, the next 22 were at -11C, and the next 41 were at -12C. By then, morning had arrived, and the next 10 frames were at -11C, and then the temperature began to rise with each frame, from -10C, to -9C to -7C to -6C. At that point I stopped the sequence.

This was a longer than usual sequence, but on multiple instances in the past, the camera bounces around +/- 2 degrees different (usually lower) from the set temperature. Two nights ago, I was running an 8 hour sequence across multiple targets. Ambient temperature was roughly -5C, and every single frame came in at either -11C or -12C.

So a few questions:

1. For how long a sequence should the camera be able to hold temperature (it seems to "give up" after 10 or so hours).

2. How do I get it to hold a specific temperature within a single degree of accuracy across multiple frames?

3. Any ideas about what I might be doing wrong?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The cooler has a minimum power level. Ambient of +7C doesn't give it sufficient headroom to regulate.

I recommend using -20C as your setpoint.

3. Mark McComiskey

Mark McComiskey Cyanogen Customer

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Good to know. This hobby is multitudinous in its nuances.

at that temperature will an RBI flush be required between frames?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Unlikely. If you have Sirius in the frame it might be a consideration...