Resolved STX-16803 Nose Piece?

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Sreilly, Jun 16, 2023.

1. Sreilly

Sreilly Cyanogen Customer

I have a used STX16803 camera with the FW5-STX filter wheel but it needs a nose piece. This would be the standard nose piece that came with the camera which I think was a 2" maybe? Can someone point me to the correct nose piece? I would think the one that came on my STL-11000m would work just as well maybe?

2. Sreilly

Turns out the STL nose piece is smaller....so any clue which one I need for the STX-16803 and where to get?

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The STX has a dovetail nosepiece with an internal 3-inch 24tpi thread.
    You can find photos of all STX nosepiece options here:
    https://diffractionlimited.com/product/stx-stxl-aluma-ac-adapter-plates/

The one that ships with the camera is the 10018.
    The 3-inch nose is an option and would slide into a 3-inch focuser draw tube.
    The 2-inch one isn't suitable for an STX-16803, due to vignetting.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

FYI, I'm using the ACC09 3" plate in my observatory. Works great with the 3" Optec focuser.

5. Sreilly

So if I'm reading this right for use on the Optec 3" rotator it should naturally fit? This is a bit confusing for me. I have David's old STX-16803 that was used at SRO and I'm checking it out here at home. Cleaning it up, baking the desiccant, etc...and then testing it on my RC. I have a Pyxis 3" rotator with the STL-11000 installed already.

Sorry Doug, I didn't see your post. I'll go out shortly and try that nose piece in the Pyxis shortly and report. To be clear the adapter I have is the short dovetail one, 10018 STX MOUNTING PLATE

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Our large format cameras have always shipped with the 10018 mounting plate:

upload_2023-6-17_10-45-7.png

We have a relatively new optional plate available, ACC09, which has a simple eyepiece-style 3" barrel. (All I have handy is a 3D render... part is anodized aluminum.)

upload_2023-6-17_10-46-14.png

7. Sreilly

The FW5-STX filter wheel has two sets of threaded holes, 4 that hold the plate on and 4 larger spaced holes that I have small bolts for. Not sure of the threads on the outer ones but the ones for the adapter plate are smaller and missing. Any idea on the thread and length so I can replace them? Nothing I have here is small enough but I can take the plate to the hardware store and figure this out. Length would be helpful if you have that.

I stand corrected, the holes on the 10018 plate appear to be through holes. I'm guessing black cap screws were used to attache the plate to the filter wheel.

8. Sreilly

This is really weird. I went into the dome and took off the STL-11000 camera assembly which includes the Don Goldman MOAG all the way back to the Pyxis 3" rotator and the adapter doesn't fit. It's larger so I tried to see if anything I had would fit the inside threads on the adapter plate and nothing there either. I have to now wonder how the assembly was mounted while at SRO.

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

10. Sreilly

Thanks Doug. I'm beginning to think John may have had an adapter made for the 3" Pyxis as the adapter plate I have won't fit in the Pyxis, it's a tad too large.

11. Sreilly

So after spending the afternoon tracking down parts and pieces it boils down to finding an Astro Don MOAG adapter that will fit the STX-16803. Any ideas?

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Precise Parts is the usual go-to for custom adapters.

13. Sreilly

At this point I think the only hope I have of using the STX-16803 is finding a 3" adapter for the Don Goldman Monster OAG. As best as I can tell Farpoint doesn't have this adapter. If anyone knows of a source for this please advise.

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

As I pointed out above, we do have a 3" barrel adapter. The nose is 2.98" in diameter (for clearance) and 0.8" tall. The base plate is the 0.2" thick, for a total height of 1".

15. Sreilly

Actually maybe I've just woken up from a very bad dream but I'm chasing the wrong topic here. What I really need is a way to attach the FW5-STX to an old AstroDon MOAG (Monster OAG). So I guess I'm looking for the attachment for the FW5-STX and the mounting ring to attach that to the MOAG. For my STL-11000 I used a ring straight to the MOAG.

I've looked at FarPoint Astro and I see they have adapters but it's unclear if they have what I need. A call simply said the person who would know is unavailable almost always.

Attached Files:

16. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The pattern is this:
    1. 10018 nosepiece -> STX camera
    2. 10018 nosepiece -> FW5-STX -> camera
    3. 10018 nosepiece -> STX Guider -> FW5-STX -> camera
    4. 10018 nosepiece -> AO-X -> STX Guider -> FW5-STX -> camera

So just get an adapter that replaced the 10018 nosepiece per #2 OR screws into it's 3inch 24tpi threads.

17. Sreilly

Apparently if I can find a plate that screws to the FW5-STX then this adapter or similar should work. So if I'm thinking about this correctly I'd need a flat plate to mount to the FW5-STX that has 3inch 24tpi threads. From what I see the 3" barrel adapter will likely not work with this if what I'm thinking is correct. The 3" barrel adapter part is 2.98" interior and threaded?

Talking to FarPoint it not clear if they are still making the OAG or parts anymore. Should know later today I hope.

18. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The 3" barrel adapter is not threaded.
    The 10018 STX adapter that came with the camera HAS 3-inch 24 TPI threads.
    PlaneWave makes this, which is like the 10018 but thin without the dovetail:
    https://planewave.com/product/600337/

19. Sreilly

Thanks Colin. Apparently if I get that plate that screws to the FW5-STX then this adapter or similar should work.

20. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Could be. You'll need to check backfocus.