STX 16803 Shutter Issue

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Teal Atkinson, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Teal Atkinson

Teal Atkinson Cyanogen Customer

Hello,
    I am having an intermittent problem with the shutter on my STX 16803 not opening fully. I originally posted on the filter wheel forum because it was happening and making a horrible noise when the auto guider exposed. I have since learned that in some instances both shutters open at the same time in some configurations and have taken it apart and verified that sometimes the camera shutter opens and closes fine and sometimes it makes a terrible noise and gets stuck.

Here is a link to the terrible noise.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BypJx7aHiP5aM3BGekE0andIWm8/view?usp=sharing

And here is an image example when the shutter does not open all the way:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BypJx7aHiP5aV1plTV9BLTM3YVk/view?usp=sharing

In this image it looks like it must have opened eventually but some don't seem to have any stars on a portion of the image.

When I had the camera apart I did not see anything obviously wrong with the mechanism (there was no foreign debris, etc) but I must admit that I wouldn't know what to look for other than debris.

I am happy to send this thing and let an expert look at it but if there is something that I can do I am happy to open it again.

-Bill

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You could pop the cover off the camera and visually inspect the shutter mechanism, and make sure there is nothing interfering with it. Make sure the screws you are using to mount the filter wheel aren't extending too far into the camera and touching the shutter.

If there's nothing obvious like that, please do NOT tinker with the mechanism or try to make any adjustments. Please send it in for service.

3. Bernardo Relvas

Bernardo Relvas Standard User

Hello,
    I'm having an "Shutter Error" every 3 frames during focus. Since it is a 30'' telescope I need very short exposures. In the past it only happened while I used 0.18s frequency of open-close but now it happens even if I make 10 seconds frames. What should I do?

Bernardo

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The shutter may need service. Please take the camera off the telescope and visually confirm shutter behaviour. If it is not working correctly then it will have to be sent in for service.