Resolved STX-16803 Slow Download

Discussion in 'CCDOPS and SBIG Universal Driver (Retired)' started by Sahlbom, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Sahlbom

Sahlbom Cyanogen Customer

I recently tested two ST-i cameras on the observatory computers for possible use on a guide scope. Afterwards I noticed that the STX-16803 image download time went from less than 10 seconds to over an hour. Once the image finally downloads it appears as expected -- no corruption. I have installed SBIG drivers on several computers recently without any issues, but I can't seem to recover from this problem. Any computer that the ST-i connected to exhibits the very slow download time on the STX-16803.

I have verified that the camera and cabling are not the issue by testing on a laptop that never had SBIG drivers installed before now and the download time is normal still. I am testing using CCDOps, but TSX and Maxim DL also exhibit the same slow download.

I'm running Windows 10 20H1 on all computers. For testing, the camera is connected directly to the computer (no hubs or USB-LAN extenders). SBIGDriverChecker64 is the older version that uses the DLL 4.99 build 7 version. I have spent many hours over the past few days meticulously (I think) removing all of the SBIG drivers, DLL, etc. (both with DriverChecker and manually), removing all of the USB device history for all instances of SBIG cameras in the registry and confirmed they are wiped with USBDeview, then did fresh installs -- to no avail. I reviewed posts in this forum on driver problems others had and the solutions offered.

I'm obviously missing something. I spent 38 years in the computer industry and although long retired, I still actively support 50+ PC's as a volunteer for non-profits primarily. So I'm used to working through problems. But I have no more ideas.....

Steve
    Mayhill, NM

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Steve,
    Check that the Debug Logging is turned OFF.
    Like so:
    sbigdebuglog.png

If that doesn't solve it, what software are you running (MaxIm DL Pro, CCDOPS, TSX, ?) to acquire images?
    Are the cameras on separate USB buses, especially separated from low-speed USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices like serial ports, focusers, mounts ?
    Have you replaced USB cables?

3. Sahlbom

Sahlbom Cyanogen Customer

Yes, Debug Logging was a problem. I think I solved the original problem early on, but didn't appreciate the logging overhead.

I'm impressed with the level of support on DL's forums. I acquired this observatory over a year ago and always prefer to learn the hard way.... But now that I'm beginning to setup Maxim DL and ACP I'm sure I'll be using the forums more! Life is too short to waste clear skies debugging problems....

Many thanks!

Steve

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Glad to hear it was something simple.
    Enjoy the clear skies you get!