STX-6303 TDI Mode

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Steve Pandich, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Steve Pandich

Steve Pandich Standard User

The TDI documentation for the SBIG cameras is pretty sparse. We have a reasonable number of STX-6303's. We'd love to do TDI with them. In investigating the capabilities of the camera, and the source code, I've come to the opinion that TDI is not supported on this model. Can you confirm or deny that?

Thanks a lot!!!!

2. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Steve, you are right, because this camera uses internal frame buffer, so digitizing is not under driver's control, but done by firmware.
    Jan

3. Steve Pandich

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

4. Steve Pandich

Just to clarify, there is no way to bypass the frame buffer, or do some other tricks? I am just trying to confirm that there is absolutely no way this camera could be hacked into doing TDI.

5. Jan Soldan

Are we really talking about stxl 6303 ? You have mentioned stx 6303 instead of stxl, which is not on the market. If you have STL 6303, this mode is possible, of course, for stxl this would require firmware change, because it is not possible to switch this buffer off.
    I hope, I am true...
    Jan

6. Steve Pandich

We have STX-6303's and STL-6303E's.

Our goals is to be able to do TDI. We are fine with firmware upgrades, or having to write a little custom code.

Our preference, would be the (far faster) STX cameras.

Thanks!

7. Jan Soldan

Adam may give you a better answer, but I think, it would need huge changes on both sides, inside the firmware itself and also inside the driver.
    The STX/L is faster because of its internal frame buffer. I am not sure, if USB2 would have huge influence here, because you have to readout the ccd line by line.
    Of course, the TDI rate also depends on the FL of the scope and other params, so difficult to say.
    Jan

8. Steve Pandich

Thanks, again!

9. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

There is no STX-6303, it's either STXL-6303 or STX-16803. Semantics I know but just setting the record straight.

10. Steve Pandich

Not sure what to say o_O
    [​IMG]

11. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Typo/mis-print. :) I stand corrected. Although based on the serial number, I can see that this is one of the early editions of this generation of cameras. I'm guessing we called everything in this line STX at that time and later separated it into STX and STXL when the 11K came online. They aren't made under that nomenclature any longer.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015