STX cooler shuts off

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Richard Ditteon, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Richard Ditteon

Richard Ditteon Cyanogen Customer

I have an STX-16803 that I operate using ACP and Scheduler. Last night, I had the software set to cool the camera to just 0C, but when the software tried to cool the camera to 0C, it hit 100 % power and shut off the cooler. Ambient was 26C. I was able to cool the camera down to 0C by first cooling to 5C. It is running now at 0C, at only 22% power.

Clearly this is a bad situation. I can't run robotically at any reasonable temperature without manually intervening. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I would suspect the power brick - the camera has an automatic cooler safety shutdown if the voltage drops too low.

What is the serial number of your camera? Are you using the supplied power brick or some other power supply?

3. Richard Ditteon

Unfortunately, the camera is in Australia and I'm in Terre Haute, IN, so I can't easily check the serial number. The records I have show the serial number as X12060125. It was purchased in June of 2012.

I am using the original power brick. Nothing has changed with my set up. During the winter, I ran at -20C no issues. But now that it is summer I can't even run at 0C.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

X12060125 was built in June 2012. Delta-T was tested at 55.53 degrees C.

The STX really doesn't like voltage drop. If it's installed with a power wiring extension (such as through-the-mount wiring) then you will get excessive voltage drop if the wire gauge is not sufficient. You need big fat wires! Naturally the voltage doesn't drop until you crank up the cooler power, since the cooler represents the majority of the current draw of the camera when running at high power.

See if you can sneak the Delta-T down by moving the cooler temperature down in steps a couple of degrees at a time. That should avoid it ramping up to 100% power. If that works and you get to 0C, then I'd point to a power wiring issue.

5. Richard Ditteon

Using your suggestion, I reprogrammed the startup script to gradually cool down the camera. That is working well. Thanks for your help.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Since that was successful I would strongly recommend thicker gauge wires. You should be able to go to 50 degree delta easily.

7. Richard Ditteon

Tell that to Software Bisque. I'm using the through the mount wiring in the Paramount ME II.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I have a Paramount ME (not II) and the wiring was not nearly adequate. I ran my own wires.

9. Eric Dose

Eric Dose Cyanogen Customer

Just be aware that the STXL power cables will NOT go through SB's MX+ mount. So as things are: you can't run through-the-mount (no fit), and you can't use SBIG's cable kit (bad voltage). This is a really bad situation. I've decided that I (and everyone else with this combination) will have to cut SBIG's power cable, run that up through the mount, then resolder connectors at the camera end.

This seems like a really silly ongoing situation for this grade of equipment.

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We've figured out a solution for this sort of situation, which is to raise the power supply voltage a little. 13V instead of 12V. That allows for some extra voltage drop between the power brick and the camera.

11. Eric Dose

So I have to cut cables after all. Then, when the cooler is running at low power and the current has dropped, is it OK to then have 13-14 Volts actually at the camera all night?

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes that is okay.

13. Eric Dose

OK, good to know. I'll have to cut cables either to get higher voltage supply or to fit through the MX+ mount.

Perhaps SBIG could consider selling alternate 14V power supplies for those using the Paramount cable connections. Or simply supplying smaller power plugs and sockets, so that at least one of them can fit through a MX+ mount.

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Unfortunately the current requirements drive the size of the connector.