STX Guider failure

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Martin Pugh, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Martin Pugh

Martin Pugh Cyanogen Customer

Hi Colin

my STX guider failed tonight. I am not getting completely black readout, as there does appear to be some noise/data there but no stars.

Usually, when I select this in Maxim DL I get the option to select 'USB' in the drop down and 'external remote' and no problem. But the USB option has now gone.
    I have changed the HDMI cable from the STX guider to the main camera (STX 16803) with no change.

any thoughts?
    Martin

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The STX Guider is a "Dual Chip" configuration, with external remote. USB option will be replaced by the STX camera if it is seen.
    Check the Windows Device Manager for an SBIG Camera first.

I saw your other post, and am wondering if the miniature shutter in the STX guider has somehow come off the motor. If the shutter is loose/stuck/not turning, that may account for the strange behaviour.

3. Martin Pugh

I did not realise it was dual chip. I have been using it in TSX for several weeks (rather my customer has), but tonight no stars, just a blank image.

The main camera does show up in device manager....but the STX guider never has of course.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

5. Martin Pugh

Yes this is all very familiar to me Colin. As I said, it has been working for weeks, just failed tonight. It is not seen in CCDOPS.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Check the "HDMI" cable. Unplug/replug and make sure it's installed correctly. Also check whether there's any unexpected play in the connections, i.e. if it seems like the connector inside the camera or guider is damaged.

Is the image entirely all zeros? Or does it look like a dark frame with speckles. Please post a FITS frame so we can look at it (not JPEG!).

7. Martin Pugh

Its more like a dark frame with speckles. I have changed the HDMI cable, and unplugged/replugged. As I said, working fine for weeks. I will remove the camera today.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Please post a FITS frame.

9. Martin Pugh

Will do. Can you confirm that the STX 16803 is to be configured as ‘dual,chip’ for the STX Guider to be recognised - and we are talking about the same thing right? i.e this is the STX Guider not the second guiding CCD inside the main camera.

10. Martin Pugh

FIT image attached. The HDMI sockets seem very firm and I can hear the shutter operating correctly. As you can see there is 'data' there i.e it is not completely black, but 2 nights ago there were 'in focus' stars on that chip, but not last night.

Attached Files:

11. Martin Pugh

Camera now reassembled.
    I am getting around 800 ADU whether I bin the guider 2x2 or not. After dark subtraction, around 100 ADU. Also, suddenly lost the ability to bin the STX guider 3x3, no longer an option in TSS and it was yesterday! Please advise.

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I can't speak to TSX issues. The frame you posted looks like a dark frame. Can you confirm whether the shutter is actuating normally? It should open when you take a light frame, and close when you take a dark frame.

13. Martin Pugh

Yes, operating correctly. I visually watched it open and close. I took some images while shining a light down the baffle and you would expect it to saturate but the images showed the smallest kind of gradient, that’s it.

14. Martin Pugh

I cannot interrogate the guider in ccdops either. I can switch to it, and I can take images and hear the shutter actuate, but the readout is the same. I dont seem to be able to read the offset/gain in Ccdops D.

15. Martin Pugh

Took a dark and a light frame of 1 sec duration - adu the same and image the same.

so this must be a clue - I disconnected the HDMI cable altogether and I still got an image out of the guider (no shutter actuation) and the image was identical - same ADU value etc. amd yes, I can absolutely confirm ‘external remote’ is selected.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  16. Martin Pugh

Guys - any advice please? STX guider still under warranty.

17. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Need the serial number.

18. Martin Pugh

There u go.

Attached Files:

19. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

20. Martin Pugh

I am going to plug in an STi with a HDMI connector into the 16803. If the STi works its the guider, if not its the camera electronics.