STX Guider pixels values=0 when binning above 1x1

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Tim Richmond, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Tim Richmond

Tim Richmond Standard User

Just tested the STX Guider with Maxim DL 6.11. The guider produces images in locate tab with binning in 1x1 but 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4 produce no image or at least the values are zero. I can hear the shutter working in all cases with the same exposure. Software and hardware has not changed since previously using the RGH with no problems, and just to verify I retest with RGH and its still working.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That's hard to explain! The electronics in the RGH and the STX Guider are 100% identical. Are you certain the images aren't actually oversaturated? In many software packages that will look black due to auto-contrast features.

3. Tim Richmond

Tim Richmond Standard User

Hi Doug,

Yes the pixels were zero as I clicked around the image in the Locate Tab in Maxim DL. You had a great idea about the saturation. I went back and tested binning above 1x1 again and sometimes the pixels were all zero and other times they were all 100--interesting. I noticed when binning was 1x1, which looked like noise, a huge portion of the pixels were also 100, so I started experimenting with different illuminations at higher binning levels and found I could get some variation in pixel values. So I think you absolutely right about the saturation, I'll know more once I have clear sky.

Thanks for the help,
    Tim