STX, STXL minimum draw tube diameter.

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Steve Halderman, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Steve Halderman

Steve Halderman Standard User

Hi all,
    This sounds like a "newbie" question because, well, I am.............to Deep Sky anyway. My question is this; I'm awaiting delivery on a new Moonlite Nitecrawler (2.5in.) and seriously considering either an STX 16803, or an STXL 16200. Will that 2.5in. draw tube be sufficient for those cameras provided the proper threaded adapter is used, rather than a nosepiece?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The drawtube diameter is 2.5"?

The 16803 sensor is 2.059" corner-to-corner. You may or may not see some vignetting depending on your f/ratio. Of course some mild vignetting may be acceptable assuming you are flat-fielding.

Should have no problem with the 16200.

You will need a custom adapter of some kind to attach the camera. The go-to supplier for custom adapters is http://www.PreciseParts.com

Steve Halderman likes this.
  3. Steve Halderman

Steve Halderman Standard User

Thanks for that Doug,
    I see now that Moonlite makes an adapter for STX, STXL cameras.

4. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

Hi Steve
    I have a STXL16200 and went through several iterations before I was able to properly attach the camera / filter wheel to my Tele-Vue NP101-is which also has a 2.5 inch draw tube. I can advise you not to try to use a 2-inch nose piece because the camera / Filter wheel was too much weight. I have attached some sketches of the setup I am using. It is absolutely rock solid. You could probably get Precise Parts to make the custom adapter plate to attach the A-P ADA671 to the front of the filter wheel.

Attached Files:

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Mike - thanks for posting this. I've tried going down this road for a NP101-is and NP127-is, and its a challenge. You've put a lot of effort into sorting this out. It's appreciated.