STX16803 guider issue - with Maxim v6.12

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Michael Koenig, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Michael Koenig

Michael Koenig Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

I have an issue with my STX16803 - When I try to do an internal guider exposure, I can follow the commands "exposing" and "reading" but then, no guider picture is opened - the programm is pending ....

My setup:
    Windows7 / 64bit
    SBIG drivers 4.90
    STX16803 connecrted via USB
    MaximDL 6.12

Two remarks:
    - It seems that this issue came in with version 6.12 of MaximDL
    - When I change to my older camera STL-11000 , the setup - and the internal guider works well

May it is just a stupid error of my handling - but I cannot manage to get the internal guider working.

I would appreciate you help. Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
    Michael

2. Michael Koenig

Please find my seetings.zip file attached.

Attached Files:

3. Michael Koenig

Just a quick update - With my old laptop (and MaximDL 5 with older SBIG firmware) the STX16803 works fine.
    So, I would assume that the must be an kind of interference between the new SBIG firmware 4.90 an the MaximDL 6.12.

Happy to discuss this issue. Any ideas, what I should try?

Best wishes,
    Michael

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

There is a very recently-discovered bug with this, which will be fixed in an upcoming release.

In the meantime, try turning off threading. If that does not help, use the SBIG AO plug-in instead of the SBIG Universal plug-in. I've reproduced the problem here and it does NOT happen with the AO plug-in. If you're not using the AO just move the control window most of the way off the screen to get it out of the way.

5. Michael Koenig

Hello Doug,

thanks for your response. I have tried the SBIG AO now. With threading turned off.

Here are the results:

- After the camera connection, I used the Guider frontend to do an exposure - this worked fine
    - Then I choosed a guide star, and activated the radio button "track" - worked fine
    - Then I started a exposure sequence with the main camera - worked fine
    - I then noticed that the guider window has freezed , the control window is not responding, and a message box informs about a camera error (2)
    - When I try to reconnect to the camera, a message box tells about an error ...could not initialize CCD camera (1)
    - I can only reconnect to the camera after a power-off

I hope this comments are helpful. And, I am looking forward for the MaximDL update.

Best wishes,
    Michael

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Odd... it's possible that I was jumping to conclusions about the cause of the problem, since it sounded similar to the one I identified.

One difference is that I was using the external guider, not the internal, so it's not a completely identical situation. Just for testing purposes, maybe you could select external guider. It won't take good guider pictures, but if it cycles that will tell us something.

You might want to check that your Universal Driver and camera firmware are all up-to-date.

7. Michael Koenig

Hello Doug,

ok, here is my test setup:

- all firmware drivers are up to date
    - I have choosen SBIG universal
    - Guider remote

Then, I connect to the STX16803, no error, all worked fine. I made an exposure with the main camera - all worked fine,
    When I switched to the Guider tab, I started a 1sec exposure ... after the exposure the camera hangs up during "reading..".

Is there a Maxim-Deug version, with more log information about the camera interaction?

Best wishes,
    Michael

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

A problem crept into 6.12 somehow. I encountered the issue myself the other day, and we are working on it.

My workaround was to use the SBIG AO plug-in (even though I'm not using AO it works).

9. Michael Koenig

Hello,

just an update - I have tested all options regarding driver etc. - but I got stuck with the guider timeout.

And, yesterday evening, where we had wonderful clear skies here in South Germany, I have spent hours with these test series.
    Without any chance to do photo sequences.

So, I am waiting for the MaximDL fix desperately. Please, please ....

When do you expect the new version to be released?

Best wishes,
    Michael

10. Michael Koenig

A more detailed error description:

I used the SBIG AO driver at setup, then I started the guider - and I get a picture, then I selected a star and started guiding - all worked fine, the guiding commands are sent to the mount.
    Then, I started a sequence with the main camera - in the very moment the guider window is not updated any more and the guider command window saying.. Camery Busy...
    Result - guider timeout, after a minute a Error window pops up .. saying AutoGuider Error (8).
    Finally the entire MaximDL program freezes ....

One again, please let me know when I can use MaximDL again, as I have done it in the last years....

Best wishes,
    Michael

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We're working on getting things finalized. Found a couple of other things to fix.

12. Michael Koenig

Good news, looking forward to install 6.13.

Best wishes,
    Michael

13. Michael Koenig

Hello,

with v 6.13, the problem is solved now. I can useMaxim for the main camera and the guider as I have done it before.
    Thanks for your assistance.

The only problem is now, that the FW5 is not working -a test showed that blown fuses on the camera board caused this. This is the result of the intense testing - gosh - :)
    So I will use my STL11000 during the repair of the STX16803.

Best wishes,
    Michael