STXL-11002 ethernet vs USB connection

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by sheakev, Apr 19, 2022.

1. sheakev

sheakev Standard User

Hi,
    Just bought a new (to me) imaging system (scope/mount/camera/etc.). The camera is an STXL-11002 with filter wheel and integrated OAG. It is connected to a Gemini focuser/rotator. The mount is an AP1600. Thus, outside of the camera, everything is USB2.0 which is USB2.0 or ethernet.

• Have folks successfully run all this type of hardware using a USB 2.0 powered hub into their computer?
    • Or, does one need to run separate USB cables from each of these devices to separate ports on one's computer?
    • Is there a benefit in running the camera with an internet (Cat5 cable) connection rather than thru a USB cable?
    The setup will be on a pier in a dome observatory. The warm room (where the computer and its three monitors ) is at least 20' away. I may need to use a USB extender but would likely need to use two sets of them if I ran the camera via USB.

If anyone has experience with a similar setup I would greatly appreciate any comments on how it was setup and how it performed.

Thanks, and let me know if there are any additional questions on this proposed setup.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Congratulations on the new-to-you imaging system.

We usually recommend a separate USB 2.0 connection from the camera to the computer. The camera will take advantage of the high speed USB interface.
    Slow speed devices like Mouse/Keyboard/Focuser/Mount can interrupt traffic when they are sharing the same USB bus. So don't mix slow USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 devices with High Speed USB 2.0.

USB Powered hubs are usually a good idea - much better than extenders. Many customers (and myself personally) have good success with the StarTech Industrial USB hubs, powered by +12V.

Ethernet has the advantage of longer cable length. It will take a bit longer to download over Ethernet at 100mbps, than USB 2.0, but considering the typical image might be 5-10 minutes or longer, it shouldn't really be an issue. It's nice to have the choice.

You might be able to daisy chain a couple of powered USB hubs. Be careful when it comes to extenders - there are a lot of inexpensive and unreliable ones that work poorly in cold weather.

sheakev likes this.
  3. sheakev

sheakev Standard User

Colin,

This is great information. I do have an Icron Ranger extender (2304 which has 4 USB 2.0 on each end of its two boxes) which might work for the "slower" devices, e.g. focuser, rotator, flatman and mount, if it doesn't I could get them their own hub.

For the camera, I will try the power hub you suggested and keep that as a dedicated connection between the computer and the camera.

Thanks again for the thoughtful, thorough, and clear response!

Kevin

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I've heard good things about that model of Icron. You might try it with the camera as well, and if you have trouble, then make a change.