STXL-16200: difference in noise - why?

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by EricC, Sep 1, 2023.

1. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

For the last year or so some of my images using the same bias, dark, and flat frames show significantly different noise levels, even when take one after the other.
    A summary image showing the effect is here: https://eccssw.com/AstroIssues/Noise/ as are the raw and calibrated FIT files.

When I apply PixInsight's "Linear Defects Correction" to remove the bad columns that aren't removed by the darks, the "noisy" images that are to be integrated have pattens - different shapes and sizes of boxes, for example.

Sequence Generator Pro was used for image capture. No settings were changed between shots.

The camera is one of the first STXL-16200. Is it possible something in the camera is going flaky?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Download links are not valid.

3. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

You have to right-click on the links and select "save link as" (or equivalent for your browser).

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That's what I did. Download links are not valid.

You get a 50 byte file containing only the following:

Not sure where you're going, but you're not there!​

5. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

Interesting. Must be different browsers since I could right click and download it.
    Regardless, I added a MIME type for fits to the server. When I left click on a link now it brings up the downloads dialog box.

The "Not sure where..." message is my 404 message.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I tried Edge and Chrome. Anyway... fixed now.

Can you provide raw dark frames for each image?

7. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

I uploaded the dark and flat masters which were used by both frames.
    https://eccssw.com/AstroIssues/Noise/

If it makes any difference, the sensor (Class 1) has a lot more column defects now than it did a year ago and a much more pronounced dark band at the top 1/3 than it had when new.
    Thanks in advance for looking at this.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I can't use images processed by PixInsight; it does weird scaling to them. I wanted a raw dark frame.

Also, I recommend reshooting your darks periodically. Sensors will gradually accumulate cosmic ray damage, resulting in new hot pixels. Taking fresh calibration frames periodically will help mitigate that effect.

9. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

@Doug, I added a "Single Dark Frame".

I have newer darks and regularly take them. I looked for two images using the same dark master that were taken back-to-back where one had lots of noise and the other didn't, and the first example is what I used.

I didn't know about cosmic ray damage - that's interesting, thanks.

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'm not really seeing an increase in noise on one frame compared to the other, doing a simple dark frame subtraction. Images can often look noisier or smoother if they aren't contrast stretched on the display the same way. Going by the numbers I don't see much there.

I think you will benefit by making a new calibration set. Personally I redo them every few months.