STXL-16200: SBIG Error while starting exposure: SHUTTER_ERROR

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by EricC, May 23, 2023.

1. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

I recently replaced my STXL filter wheel that would stop moving with a newly purchased one (it works great!!). While it was off, I rotated the camera's shutter with my hand several times - probably a mistake, since I am now getting an "SBIG Error while starting exposure: SHUTTER_ERROR" in SGPro, usually near the start of a session when focusing. Usually once my sequence starts things are ok.

Did I break something?
    The camera is a 22 hour drive away and I won't be there for several months. Is there something I can test or do remotely to debug or fix this?

These are entries from SGP's log file:

[05/23/23 20:59:00.200][DEBUG][Camera Thread][AF;] SBIG Camera: Start exposure...
    [05/23/23 20:59:00.200][DEBUG][Camera Thread][AF;] SBIG Camera: EnableRBIPreflash(False)
    [05/23/23 20:59:00.200][DEBUG][Camera Thread][AF;] SBIG Camera: fetch customer options...
    [05/23/23 20:59:00.204][DEBUG][Camera Thread][AF;] SBIG Camera: Current camera preflash state is False
    [05/23/23 20:59:00.204][DEBUG][Camera Thread][AF;] SBIG Camera: EnableRBIPreflash is complete (SUCCESS)...
    [05/23/23 20:59:00.204][DEBUG][Camera Thread][AF;] SBIG Camera: exposure time = 200
    [05/23/23 20:59:00.204][DEBUG][Camera Thread][AF;] SBIG Camera: shutter is open...
    [05/23/23 21:00:39.609][DEBUG][Camera Thread][AF;] SBIG Error while starting exposure: SHUTTER_ERROR

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can you power cycle the camera and try again?
    I suggest using CCDOps or MaxIm DL to check this out.

3. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

Colin,
    I'm pretty sure I already tried power cycling the camera, but I just did it.
    How would I use CCDops to check it out? I don't see any utility to test the camera (unlike the one that tests the filter wheel).

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Launch CCDOps and take a bunch of exposures. For example, Camera, Focus will do a bunch of continuous images.

The point is to eliminate third party software and complexity, and to get an error message that we can verify.

The other thing to check, especially if any Window updates went into the PC, is USB power management settings, which can interrupt communication:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.co...connects-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend.7848/

5. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

So far have not been able to get it to fail with CCDOps, just SGP.
    Is there additional logging I should turn on in the driver?

Does CCDOps use the same drivers as SGP?

Is there a newer version of CCDOps? The one I have is quite old.

Eric

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Well maybe the problem is SGP and not your hardware.

SBIG Driver Checker does have logging options. However, since it works fine with CCDOps... is this going to help?
    We're not going to debug SGP.

CCDOps uses the SBIG Universal driver sbigudrv.dll, and the version is shown in SBIG Driver Checker. 5.1.1.0 is current. Normally all programs would use this, unless they are 64-bit, which means they might be using a different driver build that we may have provided.
    You'll have to ask the SGP folks.

The last released version is 5.66 Build 1. We no longer support or update it, it is very stable.
    You can find this version on the left-hand-side of this page:
    https://diffractionlimited.com/legacy-product-support/

Have you actually looked down the nose of the camera to see if the shutter is operating properly?
    e.g. put it on the workbench and have a look.
    If it needs to come in for repair, I can send you a link for a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA).

7. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

Colin,
    I just got a "Shutter Error" in CCDOps, so it's unlikely an SGP issue. I still have the CCDOps window open - does CCDOps have a log file that would give more info than just "Shutter Error" ?

The camera is a 22-hour drive away so I can't physically look at it until my next visit in October.
    Is there any driver logging I should enable to help debug this?

The shutter errors started soon after I had the camera off replacing the filter wheel and rotated the shutter by hand, so the error is likely related to that. At my next visit, if I take the camera off again, what should I look for?

Eric

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

You'll need to send the camera in for service.
    This is not reparable by you.

9. Tim

Tim Staff Member

The only thing you can do is make sure the belt did not slip of the shutter wheel. If it did, it is straight forward to put it back on. Other than that, it is best to send it in for inspection as Colin suggested.

10. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

Thanks Tim. I'll check that.