STXL 6303 Firmware issue

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Jurriaan Slegers, Jul 11, 2024.

1. Jurriaan Slegers

Jurriaan Slegers Standard User

I'm having problems with timeout issues downloading pictures in SGP. Checking my SBIG STXL 6303 camera I find that it has a firmware installed 'stxga.bf2' version 2.54 which is newer than the release version 2.49. This seems very strange. Maybe the older version 2.49 is more stable than the newer 2.54? Should I downgrade my firmware to version 2.49?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Something else is going on here.

Please see details on Windows Power Management and disconnects:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.co...connects-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend.7848/

Verify that you have the latest BIOS and drivers from the computer manufacturer.
    If your PC is Intel based, their Driver and Support Assistant is very helpful.
    AMD has a similar sort of tool for verifying their drivers.

If you recently ran SBIG Driver Checker and updated drivers, verify you have SBIGUDrv.dll 5.1.1.0.
    If not, disconnect the camera, remove the drivers, update and reinstall the new drivers.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

For the record, you should use the most recent (and final) firmware version in ALL retired STF, STX, STXL, and STT cameras.

4. Jurriaan Slegers

Hi Colin, Thanks for your reply, but I don't think it is a disconnect problem. The connection seems to remain intact and functioning even after an error message comes up. Downloading a picture just takes a long time. Around 4 minutes with the option 'high speed downloading' set to 'on'. Set to 'off' it takes around 10 minutes.
    Furthermore the error messages are not consistent. Sometimes 'TX Timeout', or 'SBIG Error while downloading image: NO_ERROR'. (NO_ERROR ???)

I changed the power management option of the USB's where I could, I installed SBIGUDrv.dll 5.1.1.0, without any success. I'm considering now to completely reinstall my laptop (microsoft surface pro) from scratch.

Regards Jurriaan

5. Jurriaan Slegers

Hi Doug, Thanks for your reply. You say I should use the most recent firmware. I normally totally agree, but in this case the installer says that firmware version 2.49 is the release version (meaning the final official one isn't it?). But in the camera there is version 2.54 installed. A later version. Should I keep that one although it isn't the official one? And if I would like to try and downgrade to 2.49, how do I get 2.54 installed again if I can't download it?

Regards Jurriaan

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Launch the SBIG Driver Checker.
    Click [Debug Log]
    Click [Clear All]
    [OK]
    [Done]

I suspect it is recording debugging information and this is causing the slow speed.

7. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Jurriaan,

You're using an old version the DriverChecker. The one you're using was current when the release version was 2.49. The latest/last version of the DriverChecker will show the release version as 2.54. Delete the old one from your machine completely and then load the latest/last one as though it has never been done before.

-Bill

8. Jurriaan Slegers

Hi Colin,

Indeed the logging caused the delay in downloading pictures (which I turned om due to the timeout errors). Combined with the other changes it seems to be working fine now. Thanks!

Regards Jurriaan

9. Jurriaan Slegers

Hi Bill,

I found the right version of DriverChecker which shows 2.54 as the release version. Thanks!

Regards Jurriaan