STXL 6303E not detected by Laptop / PC

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Mahhad Nayyer, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Mahhad Nayyer

Mahhad Nayyer Standard User

I am using DL STXL 6303E CCD with RIDK 400 on SB Paramount Taurus 400. I have successfully installed my mount and OTA. I also ordered a custom adapter for filter wheel and OTA which worked fine. I then connected my CCD (STXL 6303E) with my laptop by following step by step instructions on the given manual. All the drivers have been successfully installed and verified. When I connect the given USB cable from CCD to my laptop, the CCD turns off (fans and LEDs) and my laptop doesn't recognize it. If I keep the USB cable plugged in for few minutes, it starts turning hot. I tried the same thing with my PC as well but the CCD is not being detected by either the laptop or the PC. I have changed the USB cable as well but still facing the same issue. If I can get some technical support in this regard, that would be great.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

This sounds like you have a serious electrical fault somewhere in your setup. This may have damaged the camera and/or laptop.
    I'd recommend gettting a professional electrician in to investigate.

My colleague @Doug may have some suggestions.

Can you list all the equipment?
    Can you supply a photo of your setup?
    Are you running off AC power? Is it properly grounded (earthed)?
    Is the power supply the original SBIG AC power supply?

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That "getting hot" thing has me worried - unplug your camera immediately!!!

I suspect there's a short circuit. One possibility is that there's a short from +12V to the outer shell inside the camera's power connector. That could feed back into the shell of the USB connector. There's a risk of damage to both the camera's and the computer's USB port.

I think you will need to send it to @Bill at SBIG Service and Repair (see https://diffractionlimited.com/support/). Be sure to include all cables and the power brick.