Resolved STXL FW8G repair issue

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by CraigNZ, Nov 10, 2017.

1. CraigNZ

CraigNZ Cyanogen Customer

Two months ago I returned a STXL FW8G filter wheel to Optcorp for repair. They sent it to SBIG (I think) and since then there has been no word. After waiting a month, I sent an email to OPT asking if they had heard anything. The response was "this is the typical turn around time for SBIG and they will let us know when it is ready". Another month has passed I again asked OPT for a status, this time they did not reply after a week waiting.

My question is, what is the typical turn around time for FW repairs? Is it days, weeks, months? I thought there would be some word by now. Personally I think either OPT or SBIG have lost it and trying to find it. Turns out the FW was bad when I got it, the spacing was too incorrect, resulting in the FW scraping against the guider camera circuit board. SBIG did help a lot to try and fix it but I eventually returned it for repair.

Also, surprised OPT has not said anything, considering I ordered over $20k (USD) of camera gear from them. Maybe one of the SBIG guys on here could help locate it.

Craig

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

3. CraigNZ

Thanks Colin, I will give that a try. I didn't want to bother SBIG because technically it is going through OPT. But after two months and now OPT is no longer replying to my emails I think I will have to try SBIG.

Craig

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I checked the repair log, there was an FW8G-STXL received from OPT on Oct 5. The log says missing parts in the guider assembly (that's very weird!). Shows as repaired by not shipped yet.

I would contact Bill for more information.

5. CraigNZ

Thanks Doug, it's a long story about that FW but at least we know you got it. OPT received it early September so not sure why the long delay in SBIG receiving it from OPT. At least we know it is not lost and hopefully will get it back here before Christmas. I sure did not think it would take around 4 months to repair it.

Craig

6. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Craig,

The repair is finished. I've reached out to OPT a few times in the past few weeks but haven't gotten any reply. Contact me directly, bill@sbig.com, if you like to take care of it directly.

-Bill

7. CraigNZ

Thanks Bill, I have sent you an email. I didn't see an option for closing the thread but I think everything is resolved now.

Craig