STXL16200 Minimum Exposure Time

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Mike Hambrick, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

I wanted to double check the specifications / capabilities of my camera. According to the specification sheet for the STXL 16200, the minimum exposure time is 0.18 seconds, but last week when I was trying to capture the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn I was taking exposures in the range of 0.001 to 0.006 seconds, and I was not getting any kind of "out of range" type error messages. According to the FITS header for the images the exposures were what I typed in to the exposure window (Using MaxIm DL Version 6.25).

Are these short exposure times now possible, or are the images really 0.18 second exposures regardless of what the FITS header says ?

upload_2020-12-24_19-38-6.png

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The 0.18seconds is the minimum exposure specification - in other words, that's what we know the camera can do, for any STXL16200 ever built, when operating normally. Yours might be capable of going faster - the mechanics of swinging the even-illumination shutter are a limiting factor.