STXL16200 Power Supply

Discussion in 'STX and STXL' started by Mike Hambrick, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

I don't see a 12V DC power cable listed on the web site for the STXL16200. Do you offer this option ? Mine is the camera plus filter wheel.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

3. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

Hi Colin. I am starting to investigate the feasibility of setting up my imaging system at remote locations where all of my power has to come from 12V car batteries. This would mean that I would need a cable that would come from a 12V car battery or Rig-Runner to the camera. My power requirements are pretty typical of what a lot of people have: Mount, Cameras (STXL16200 + STi), Dew Removers, Laptop, Electronic Focuser, and Icron Ranger ( extra USB ports for mouse and focuser).

I should also ask that if running the camera off of a 12V battery do you recommend having a separate source of power for the camera, or at a minimum keeping it separated from the dew removers ? Astro-Physics recommends having a dedicated 12V DC power source for their mounts. If you have a similar recommendation for the camera, I can easily imagine that a system such as mine might need to be run off of three separate 12V DC power sources.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Some dew removers make an incredible amount of electrical hash (they use PWM to adjust the heat level). I'd at the very least check and if you have problems use a separate supply.

There's another reason to use a separate battery: capacity. The STXL takes 8.5 amp at full cooler power. I had a quick look and the largest deep cycle marine battery I found has a capacity of 92 Amp-hours (Ah). That will last about 10 hours at full cooler power, running just the camera.

We currently do not have a 12V cable on offer. You could make your own by chopping the end off an extension cable.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Doug - I run FIVE 100Ah AGM deep cycle marine batteries (very similar to solar batteries). What I've learned over the years with them is you have to derate them 50%, or else they don't last. The Ah rating is usually based on a 20hour discharge time, or the battery won't recover. So basically you would have 5 hours runtime on one.

Mike, my home observatory setup uses rig-runners extensively. The biggest issue is wire gauge. I use 12AWG for stuff, or the voltage drop due to wiring loss is too high.