Resolved Temperature setpoint

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Michiel Ford, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Michiel Ford

Michiel Ford Cyanogen Customer

OK, I have the STX 16803 and want to know what would the optimal temp the camera should be. I know that the specs say it has a delta of 60 degrees, but some of these COLD nights in Kansas, should I just go to -40 or -35?? Some nights will be down below zero. I understand that there is a threshold for how low the chip should be and I don't want to ruin it!! My serial number is 18040001.

Thanks for the advice!!

Mike

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The camera will limit you to -35C, since lower temperatures can start to cause minor problems such as light frosting (despite the extremely low chamber humidity).

I normally run at -20C; that's about the optimum compromise IMHO. That's plenty cold enough to get the dark current down. Colder than that will increase residual bulk image, which can cause bright stars to leave a mark on the next frame - best to be avoided.

I do sometimes run at -30C, but I only do that when the ambient temperature goes below -20C (which it does here on some winter nights). It does need to be colder than ambient to regulate effectively.

3. Michiel Ford

Michiel Ford Cyanogen Customer

OK, thank you!!

Mike