Testing AC4040 BSI

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by Sreilly, Mar 25, 2023.

1. Sreilly

Sreilly Cyanogen Customer

I have a new AC4040 BSI at my home to test prior to sending to SRO. The USB Stick sent with the unit shows a user manual dated 11/4/2021 V 1.03. Is this the latest?

Going from CCD cameras to this new CMOS camera is going to take some serious study I think to nail down light exposures, bias frames, darks, and flats. Is there any kind of quick start information to start at available? Any inside starter help would be very appreciated. Reading the manual now....

2. Sreilly

I have obviously missed something major although I've been through the manual serval times onscreen then printed out. I've yet to be able to make a connection to the camera. I have both the camera and 8 position filter wheel connected and the camera power supply connected. ASCOM 6.6 is installed, MaxIm DL 6.30, and the included drivers. I must admit I'm confused with the USB 3 driver folder. I can open the folder but Install does nothing.

The computer is a Lenovo Think Station P360 Tower just 6 months old and fully updated. I have followed the manual and just to be sure, installed the LT driver. The filter wheel is connected and powered as well although I get a rather loud, at least compared to my STL-11000 camera, for 6-7 seconds before it quietens down and I just hear the fan, AC4040 error.jpg

No idea where to go from here......the manual covers using MaxIm LT but nothing I've found yet for the full MaxIm DL that we use at home and at SRO. Glad I decided to test her rather than remotely.

3. Sreilly

To be clear this is in my office and from the manual it seems to suggest only powering the camera which is where I'm at now. The unit is assemble with camera, 8 position filter wheel, and AO (not powered/no cables connected). The filter wheel is connected to the AUX port on the camera. I did find the driver error which seems to be resolved but now when it connects the connection is lost in a few seconds. My 1st attempt with DL Configure Utility showed the camera but nothing more, my 2nd attempt after a computer restart showed the camera as seen below. I do get a brief connection when configured as DL Imaging and filter wheel is DL Imaging + FW. That lasts a second or 2 before a snap noise and disconnect. Never get a chance to try the cooler. DL-Config.jpg I have noticed this has F/W 8 and 14 is out but not sure I should do anything more at this point.

Attached Files:

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Steve,
    The latest manual and related information for the AC4040 series of cameras is available on the camera page. Scroll down until you see +DOWNLOADS, click that, and all the latest is there.
    https://diffractionlimited.com/product/aluma-ac4040/

The good news is the DL Config Utility is working correctly. It is showing the camera is talking to the computer.

For MaxIm:
    All the newer generation cameras use the DL Imaging drivers, not the legacy SBIG Universal drivers (they were for the ST/STL/STXL/STX/STT/STF CCDs only and could not support CMOS APS devices).

You'll need to tell MaxIm to use DL Imaging, NOT the SBIG Universal driver.
    Camera Control Window... Setup tab.
    Camera 1, click [Setup Camera]
    Set the Camera Model to DL Imaging.
    Click [Advanced...]
    It will bring up a configuration screen.
    Double Click the AC4040 in the list.
    [OK]
    [OK]

Which filter wheel do you have? The FW7-STX (7 position) or AFW-10-50SQ (10 position) ? You mention an 8-position one, but there isn't one for these big cameras.
    To set up the filter wheel:
    Camera Control Window... Setup tab.
    Camera 1, click [Setup Filter]
    Set the Filter or Controlling Camera Model to DL Imaging + FW.
    Then complete setting up the filters etc.
    [OK]

If you have an AO-X, then you will need to connect it to the SC-3 off-axis guider, and to configure Camera 2 as DL Imaging. Advanced... Double click the SC3. Then when you want to enable the AO-X, set Camera 2's AO to Sensor 1 (it's the first sensor on the second camera).

Electrical:
    Big +12V Power Pack -> AC4040
    PC USB3 cable -> AC4040
    AC4040 AUX to Filter Wheel cable

Small +12V Power Pack -> SC3
    PC USB2 cable to SC3
    SC3 Aux I2C port -> 11044 cable -> AO-X

Mechanical:
    Telescope -> Focuser/rotator -> AO-X -> SC-3 -> FW -> AC4040

5. Sreilly

Colin,

I've downloaded the manual and will compare to the one on the USB stick.

What I know so far:

MaxImDl 6.30 is configured as Camera 1 DL Imaging
    What I see now is: DLAPI Version 2.1.2.0 Devices: AC???M-followed by 8 numbers

I have the USB cable connected to the computer, both power supplies connected and on. The FW connected via AUX on camera, serial cable from guider to AO.

When I power the camera I get a loud buzzing 5-6 seconds and then a click. The the unit disconnects. Looking at the filter wheel I don't see any filter movement and the chip is not quite fully exposed. A Team Viewer session might be more helpful.....

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

PM sent

7. Sreilly

I forgot to mention the FW was what came with the Aluma AC4040 Filter Wheel / StarChaser Package. John Stiles sent the package for testing here before going to SRO.
    Attached is what I see with everything connected to the computer via MaxImDl and camera 1 set as DL Imaging/Advance

AC4040 error-1.jpg

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, so we did the following:
    1. Deleted C:\Program Files (x86)\Diffraction Limited\MaxIm DL 6\dlapi.dll
    This was an obsolete version that probably got during the installation process - maybe left behind by one of the installers.

2. Changed the MaxIm configuration to Camera 1 = DL Imaging, Advanced... set to AC4040BM; Uncheck [ ] Dual Chip; Camera 2 = DL Imaging, Advanced... set to SC3.

There's a filter wheel issue that might be shipping damage. Steve to investigate.

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member