Thermal readout incorrect

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Orly Andico, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Orly Andico

Orly Andico Standard User

I have an ST8300 whose thermal readout is incorrect. For example, for two successive bias frames I get temperatures of -9 Celsius (the correct temperature) and 99.9 Celsius.

I was told it was a Nebulosity problem but CCDOps shows the same behavior. I have the latest drivers.

The temperature reported can change over a period of seconds. Needless to say this wreaks havoc with temperature control (when the 99.9 Celsius is reported, the cooler goes to maximum power). Note in the following screenshots taken within 1 minute of each other.

Since in my climate the minimum temperature I can achieve is around -10 Celsius, I have to set the setpoint at -10 Celsius, this runs the cooler at full power all the time and the mis-reported temperature doesn't affect the actual temperature, but the FITS have the wrong value.

Any ideas on this?

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

This sounds like an intermittent connection of some kind inside the camera. The camera regulates the temperature internally, so if the cooler is affected by this then it's the camera that is doing it.

Please contact Bill @ SBIG Service & Repair.