Think I broke my camera... Ideas?

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Jared Willson, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Jared Willson

Jared Willson Cyanogen Customer

I was out imaging on Friday night and did something that I shouldn't have. Specifically, I plugged in the I2C cable after plugging in the power. This was on my STXL-16200. Now the filter wheel and AO-X won't initialize. Anything I can do? Or just arrange for an RMA/repair? I checked the fuse in the camera and it's fine.

I'm pretty sure whatever damage I did was to the camera, not the filter wheel since the filter wheel still works fine with my STXL-6303. It just won't work with the 16200 any longer.

Very sad. I should know better, and the design should be more robust. I can't think of any other product I own where I could cause physical damage just by the order of plugging things in.

- Jared

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I'm another customer with various SBIG cameras. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

There's a warning in the manual for most SBIG cameras to specifically NEVER do that.
    It would be good to have a "warning label" right above the port as a reminder.

I think you'll need to contact Bill Lynch the SBIG service guy for help. Bill (at) sbig (dot) com.

3. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Jared,

Send me an email, bill@sbig.com, and we'll arrange for it to come in.

-Bill

4. Jared Willson

Jared Willson Cyanogen Customer

Thanks, Bill and Colin, I'll send an email.