Timeout error when autoguiding with FW8G-STT

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by giranda, Aug 2, 2016.

1. giranda

giranda Standard User

I have been using my STT with the self-guiding camera for about 2.5 years with the same setup, using the camera add-on with TheSky to capture the images. This problem is new. Over the past two nights, I have been receiving timeout failures pretty frequently and randomly. I should stress here, I have changed nothing in my setup, which has worked well with one exception discussed below.

The timeout would shoot a code 8003 or 8001, and TheSky would temporarily lock up. After I dismissed multiple error windows, I could disconnect and reconnect the camera, and it would work for a while. Where it gets a little interesting is, that I was doing 3 second exposures for the autoguiding. I could only complete about one in three 5 minute subs without the above described crash. I switched to 12 second timing (6 second exposure and 6 second delay) for autoguiding, and I was able to collect about 20 5 minute subs without error. When I lowered the timing to 9 seconds, sub failed as above. At 12 seconds I had only two failures over the night. The voltage diode remained green throughout this process.

I swapped in new USB cables, as well as tried different ports on my computer, and this did not solve the problem.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

The exception: I hade a similar issue about a year ago. The camera would shut down when I was doing 0.5 second autoguiding subs. When I increased the timing to 2-3 seconds it worked flawlessly. I am not sure this is related, as the error was somewhat different, I did not notice the voltage diode during this episode, and have always related this to a low voltage issue.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Are you sure about the error codes? Usually with Bisque software you knock off the leading digit and the rest gives you the SBIG error code. That suggests 1 and 3. Those are not timeout error messages.