Transient Noise During Cooling

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Tom Polakis, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis Cyanogen Customer

I have been using my STXL-6303 for about five years now, and recently it has developed a transient noise pattern during cooling. This time-lapse video shows 20 minutes of flat frames taken during cooling, where 1 second is roughly 1 minute of actual time.

During the first 2 minutes, the camera is cooling from about 25C ambient to -25C. As soon as it reaches the measured sensor temperature, you can see the noise closing in from the outside edges of the frame. It's the most intrusive at 4 minutes, and then slowly moves back outward until being only at the perimeter 11 minutes after beginning.

This condition has worsened, in the past year, and I wonder if there's anything I can do, or if I should send it in for service. Note that once it gets through these 20 minutes or so, it is otherwise the same old great, reliable camera it has always been.

Thanks.

Tom

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Tom, when is the last time you recharged the dessicant? It looks like moisture is freezing on the sensor.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes that's exactly right. We strongly recommend recharging the desiccant at least every two years - every year if you live in a high humidity area.

Instructions on how to recharge the desiccant are in the manual.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

5. Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis Cyanogen Customer

Thanks. I have to admit that I haven't done that once, and must have forgotten about it shortly after reading the manual.

Do I need to purchase a new desiccant plug if I do the recharging procedure per the manual? Thanks.

Tom

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No. The spare plug is just a convenience, if you want to do a fast swap or keep a spare handy.