Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud USB device not recognized

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Yanagisawa, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Yanagisawa

Yanagisawa Standard User

Dear all,

I have been using an ST-402ME for around 7 years or so.
    It has been working very well so far, but suddenly Windows cannot recognize it anymore.
    My windows says 'USB device not recognized' and it also says that the device has malfunctioned.
    I reconnect cables and tried but it doesn't solve the problem. Does anybody know how to solve
    this issue? or should I send it to SBIG for repair? Or is there a way to reset internal BIOS like
    CMOS clear for PC?

Thank you for your help!
    With best regards,
    Hiro

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

The USB chipset may have failed. Have you tried connecting it to a different computer?

No, there is nothing to reset. If it doesnt connect, it will likely require service. You can contact Bill Lynch for further repair details:

Bill Lynch – SBIG Service & Repair Center

3769 Constellation Road, Unit D
    Lompoc, CA 93436
    Phone: (805) 308-6979

3. Richard Willits

Richard Willits Standard User

1. I have the same problem with my STF8300. It has the latest firmware installed by SBIG. The firmware was updated to deal with a cold weather issue. I have since used the camera to -21C with good results. The next day after the -21˚C ,I put the camera in the freezer to match outside conditions (like I have always done to get my darks and bias) and it worked for about 30 minutes and then the computer (not in the freezer) would not recognize the camera. I downloaded the drivers anew, tried everything and even brought the computer to an "expert"?. He said that there was nothing wrong with the computer and said the problem was with the camera. He tried to get the camera to work, but couldn't get the computer to recognize the camera. The camera will work on my two other computers. All three are Dell's. On two of them it will work and on one of them it won't. They all have Win 10. I don't know what to do. I have a fairly new, perfectly good computer on which the camera will not work. I could lobotomize it and go to factory setting and reload all my programs, or sell it and start new. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Hi Richard,
    It could be the freezer was in defrost mode and loaded the camera up with moisture though the camera vents.
    If the defrost cycle stays on to long things begin to melt and there is more moisture in the space.

just thinking what might cause a failure.

So the camera was working after the firmware update?

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Try a different USB port on the computer. No it shouldn't matter, but we've occasionally seen some weird stuff with Windows 10.

6. Richard Willits

After the computer stopped recognizing the camera, I used my older computer the following day to get all the Darks, and bias (camera was in the refrig). On the failed computer, I tried every USB port ,every cable, every, every, etc. My older computer used a 25 ft active extension cable and still worked fine. The freezer has a digital temperature readout, and the temperature remained constant (-2˚F). On the computer with the problem, the drivers in the computer will not recognize the firmware in the camera. I tried a dungle for a wireless Microsoft Game Pad, and it was recognized immediately. I tried a generic external hard drive and the computer didn't know that it was even plugged in. A new SanDisk flash drive was also immediately recognized. I am not a programer, but I think that there is something missing somewhere.
    PS. When trying to connect the camera, it reads,in the Device Manager , "Unknown USB Device (invalid Configuration Description)".
    The latest drivers where installed. Is it possible that the old drivers are still in the computer somewhere ?
    Thank you for the quick response.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  7. Tim

Tim Staff Member

I don't suspect the issue is the drivers. It appears to be that Windows is incorrectly identifying the camera. In the Device Manager for the camera where it says "Unknown USB Device (invalid Configuration Description)", did you try manually selecting the SBIG driver instead of letting Windows attempt to find it?

8. Richard Willits

I'v been that route a few times. at the end of following the instructions, I get this message "The best driver software for your device is already installed". It refers to this "Unknown USB (Invalid Configuration Description)".

9. Richard Willits

On the computer that works, it shows "Driver 2.41.0.2".
    On the computer that doesn't recognize it, the Properties/General says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)".
    Does this tell you anything ?

10. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Well, if this is an STF-8300, it tells me your drivers are out of date on the old computer. Other than that, not much.

When you manually selected to install the driver, can you tell me which driver you selected?

11. Richard Willits

The older computer is the one that works. The new one is the problem machine. Following the instructions I did "C: Program Files [(86)]/SBIG/Driver Checker 64/SBIG Drivers 3r2/64/pro" . The computer will only let me go to there. (the computer is a Dell with Core i7)

12. Richard Willits

I use TeamView. I could download something else. It may only take a short time for someone with experience to identify where the problem is.