Using "Rings" property

Discussion in 'Scripting and Programming' started by Richard S Post, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Richard S Post

Richard S Post Cyanogen Customer

I am attempting to set the "Rings" property for the CalcInformation method in a program.

The Help file ("Scripting", "Document Methods", "CalcInformation") says:

Variant Rings - If specified, must be an array of three or four integers denoting:

Rings(0) - Radius of central aperture

Rings(1) - Width of gap between aperture and annulus

Rings(2) - Width of annulus

Rings(3) - Image plane for which measurement is to be determined. This must be zero for a monochrome image;

for a color image it can be 1, 2 or 3 to specify the red, green, or blue planes respectively,

or 0 to return an average of the results from all three planes.

The first three quantities must be within the limits of the minimum and maximum values shown for the respective

quantities on MaxIm DL's context menu. If Rings is omitted, the current rings cursor dimensions are used.

If Rings is present but is only three elements long, the image plane selector is taken to be zero.

The range of the first three quantities are not specified but in the User Interface, they are:

Central Aperture - Between 2 and 20

Gap Width - Between 0 and 30

Annulus Thickness - Between 2 and 12

Here is a code segment which is having problems using the "Rings" property:

Thanks, Dick
    ' Dimension the Rings as an array of three integers

Dim Rings(3) as Integer

' set them to values that are in-range per the GUI for this object in MDL

Rings(0) = 10

Rings(1) = 3

Rings(2) = 4

' measure at a valid location in the image (declared and loaded prior to this code segment) and store the result

Result = Image_A.CalcInformation( X, Y, Rings)

This last statement throws an exception no matter what I try. The exception says:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException(0x0000FFFF): Rings argument must be array of 3 or 4 integers within specific limits.

I have tried many variations on this code including:

Dim Rings(3)

Dim Rings(3) as Integer

Dim Rings(3) as VariantType

Also I've tried various values for the three Ring elements. Nothing works. I always get the same exception.

If I do not pass Rings in the argument list to CalcInformation and manually set the rings to (10,3,4) then all is well.

Why?

2. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    VB ugh. Dim Rings(3) means an array with four elements [0..3]. The fourth element is probably zero, which should not cause a problem but I can't see all of your code. Try Dim Rings(2) for starters.

3. Richard S Post

Richard S Post Cyanogen Customer

Hi Bob, thanks for your reply!

I just tried using Dim Rings(2). In Visual Studio, it now shows 3 elements and it allowed programming the 3rd element which should actually be out-of-range. But when CalcInformation is run, I get the same exception thrown.

This is all the code there is. Nothing is missing. I simply declare the Rings array, set the values and invoke CalcInformation on a valid point in an image. The only code you're not seeing it the declaration of the image and loading a FITS file into it. This works fine.

There are two possible problems here, one would be the declaration which you're homing in on and the other is the values in the array. They only say the values must be "within specific limits" which is not very helpful. What are the limits?

Thanks, Dick

4. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    They will have to help you now. The limits are only visible in their code. I suspect you're hitting a limit.

5. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Staff Member

Hi Dick,

The hard limits of the rings values are:
    Central aperture radius (param 0): [2, 20]
    Gap width (param 1): [0, 30]
    Annulus radius (param 2): [1, 12]
    Plane (param 3): 0 if monochrome, [0, 3] if tricolor.

As mentioned in the help file, these limits can be found in the context menu's "Set Aperture Radius", "Set Gap Width", and "Set Annulus Thickness" entries respectively. Your supplied values seem to fall within the allowed limits.

Cheers,
    -Adam