Verticle lines Aluma AC4040

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by mike shade, Jun 18, 2024.

1. mike shade

mike shade Cyanogen Customer

Vertical lines again. Image is 30" through a V filter. Maxim 6.50, DLapi 2.8. It did this some time ago, unplugging seemed to fix it. But this is the second time. Camera is NOT disconnected or power cycled every night.

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Hmm... not seen that before. It looks rather like the columns are out of order. Not sure how that would happen; perhaps somehow the sensor got out of sync with the FPGA.

Very hard to diagnose this kind of rare random event. I'd keep an eye on it for now. Please let us know if it happens again.

3. mike shade

mike shade Cyanogen Customer

This happened maybe a month or so ago. Colin offered to power cycle the camera, which I did, and at that time fixed the problem. I did power cycle the camera yesterday, and the images from last night DID NOT show the lines.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I looked up your camera in our production database. Aluma AC-4040-C2 built 2021/01/22. All QA tests show normal.

As I said this isn't a known issue with these cameras. I've run an AC4040 in my observatory for a several years with no problems. I'm not even sure how the data can get scrambled like this; it's as if the synchronization between the sensor and the FPGA is somehow getting misaligned. Very odd indeed.

It could be that something is slowly degrading in the camera. Intermittent problems like this are extremely hard to fix, because you can't figure out what's wrong if it's working normally when you test it! For now I recommend power cycling the camera when you see the issue. If it starts happening more often or becomes a hard failure then it will be much easier to diagnose, and we can bring it in for a look.