Water Cooling System Issue and Aluma AC4040

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by Greg Nelson, May 1, 2021.

1. Greg Nelson

Greg Nelson Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

I hooked up my water cooling tubes today and found I I needed to rearrange the tubes to give a little more freedom. Instead of a lot of force to pull the tubes off the connector, I unscrewed the tube side nipple from the connector block using an 8mm crescent. When I did this I noticed that one connector block to the heat fin assembly spins freely and does not tighten against the assembly, nor does it back out. when I hooked everything up, as you guess it leaks at that point. I had run the system with water for about 20 minutes before this, and noticed no leaks, so my disassembly seems at fault.

Have I accidently broken the connection to the heat fins block? Is this something I can disassemble and repair? I have an iPhone video of the issue if you want me to pop it in a dropbox.

I have no need for water cooling now, but I suspect I'll wish it were working when the Arizona summer arrives in a few months.

Thanks

Greg

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That doesn't sound good.

I'm not sure how it could break but not come out. Probably a good idea to put the video in a dropbox so we can have a look.

It may be necessary to replace the nipple and/or the heat sink. This is something that can be done by Bill at SBIG Service & Repair.

3. Greg Nelson

Doug, I was afraid that was what you would reply. I have put the video in a drop box in a folder Colin and I were using to upload photos. I have his email address to notify him. Will that be OK?

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Sure I'll forward to Doug and Bill.

5. Greg Nelson

Colin, I sent you the email. Thanks.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Got it. Sent on to Bill and Doug.

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay it looks to me like you broke the threaded part of the extension off inside the heat sink. I suspect the O-ring is holding it in place.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

@Bill at SBIG Service & Repair can fix that for you. Please contact him at sbig dot com.

9. Greg Nelson

OK, Thanks Doug.