Water won't circulate

Discussion in 'CCDOPS and SBIG Universal Driver (Retired)' started by John Bunyan, Jun 16, 2015.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Standard User

I hooked up a small pump to circulate water and both of the two intake /outtake ports seem to be clogged up. I've tried suction or blowing into both of them with no success. I've primed the pump and it circulates water but not when I hookup the hoses. Any thoughts? Thanks

SBIG STL110000

2. Gregg Ruppel

Gregg Ruppel Cyanogen Customer

John
    I was having the exact same problem and discovered something was occluding the water cooling chamber. I tried forcing water through with a large syringe, but when that didn't work I switched to distilled white vinegar. After getting the vinegar into the chamber and working it back and forth a bit the clog slowly dissolved. Not sure what it was but it may have built up over time (hard water?).

3. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Standard User

This is the first time I've tried to use water. I used distilled water also. Any thoughts on using a small wire to poke in? I don't want to ruin anything.

4. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

John,

I could've sworn that I blew air through the tubes while the camera was here. Obviously, I am mistaken. I've tried working a smal wire through a clog before, it isn't that easy to find something rigid enough to work through the clog yet flexible enough to make the turn through the water fitting. Perhaps the vinegar treratment will work for you as it did for Gregg.

-Bill

5. Joseph Zeglinski

Joseph Zeglinski Standard User

John,

You may want to open the back side and check the routing of the internal plastic hoses from inlet to heat sink. Perhaps they are kinked. They are transparent, so you may spot some dirt or debris - like a dead bug from your water reservoir that may have gotten inside that section. If so, it should be easy to disconnect the links and blow, or high pressure flush it out.

I don't know what kind of metal was used for the heat sink's internal pipes, but if they are steel, maybe the clog was caused by rust or calcium build up - even in aluminum tubing or channels. I wonder if a flush with CLR calcium remover could help. You might need some way of increasing the water pressure into the inlets for such cleaning, perhaps adapt a pressure washer, gas station's air hose (set initially to a low pressure), a bicycle pump, or just a blast from a pressurized can of lens dust remover.

Doug, can you comment on this idea - is using CLR safe (they claim it is gentle) ?

Joe

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The interior channels of the heat sink are aluminum.

Vinegar and water is probably safe. Can't comment on CLR.