webpage info's

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by ROBERT T SCHAEFER JR, Nov 11, 2018.

1. ROBERT T SCHAEFER JR

ROBERT T SCHAEFER JR Cyanogen Customer

I found these webpage sites... the first one says that a CMOS sensor takes a Bias frame right after a light frame automatically...?

***Do I need to do bias frames for light frames?***
    You usually don't need to. DSLRs with CMOS sensors (as opposed to CCD) automatically take and subtract a bias frame every time an exposure is made. If they didn't, the noise would be horrendous.
    I have read many places that for the best calibrated astrophotographs, you should be taking bias frames, dark frames, and flat frames.

But on a forum I read the following statement

You usually don't need to. DSLRs with CMOS sensors (as opposed to CCD) automatically take and subtract a bias frame every time an exposure is made. If they didn't, the noise would be horrendous.

Almost all current models of DSLR use CMOS sensors; some older Nikons used CCD.

Is this true? Does this mean that all the astrophotography literature I have been reading is either outdated, or just wrong?

Is there no point taking bias shots to subtract from my flat frames and light shots?

EDIT: I should clarify that a bias frame is not a dark frame. The quoted person went on to indicate that all CMOS sensors take a bias frame afterwards, and SOME have the option for take a dark frame, which is taken with the same shutterspeed as the light frame (bias frame is always taken with fastest shutter).

Almost all current models of DSLR use CMOS sensors; some older Nikons used CCD.
    @ Photography Stack Exchange.com

***How to shoot Bias frames with a DSLR DSLR Astrophotography***
    The second webpage shows why 250 Bias frames made into a BiasMaster is better than 50 Bias frames … ? .. ...which sounds like you are trying to build up the Bias data better and then 'bias' subtract
    a more complete BiasMaster .

@ DSLR Astrophotography.com

The third is a webpage that has **Live positions for 4Vesta …**
    @ TheSkyLive.com

the webpages won't 'upload' because they are .HTM but the info is at those sites.x