What is causing this ?

Discussion in 'My Astrophotos' started by David Holko, Sep 26, 2022.

1. David Holko

David Holko Cyanogen Customer

Using a new camera, QHY 294 Color Pro, each time I find a guide star with the guider, do a calibration, and start guiding, the first image (and only the first image) results with the "L" tracking around all the stars. See the attached screen shot.

Sample.jpg

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It looks like the QHYCCD is not clearing the charge when it is idle or before the first exposure.

Suggestions:
    a) Visit the QHYCCD website for their latest "beta" drivers. Lots of people are having issues with the QHY cameras these days. Try their latest.
    b) In MaxIm, Camera Control Window, Setup Tab, Camera 1 [Options]. Under the Advanced section, turn OFF (disable, uncheck) the Threading options.
    threading_off.png

If that doesn't cure it, I'll need to know:
    Version of MaxIm - Help.. About, and Help... Check for Updates. The current release is 6.30.
    What you have for a guide camera and mount.

Am fairly certain it's a driver issue with the QHYCCD software.

3. David Holko

Thanks for the quick response ! I already uploaded the 6.30 release before this session. The guide camera is a ZWO 120 and the mount is a AP1200 . I won't be able to do a trail shot 'till later with the huricane coming ( I live in Florida) but I will surely get back to you once I do.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, with the ZWO120, check drivers and firmware for that; also, for Camera 2 [Options] also turn off the Threading. That particular ZWO may not be able to multi-task, whereas the newer ones seem better.

5. David Holko

OK, I have not had a session of live imaging but I connected both ZWO 120 MINI and QHY 294 C Pro camera. Looking at the [Options] on both cameras the ability to turn off the Threading was not active. I know I am not running the BETA versions of their drivers. I'll load the BETA and see what happens.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

You have to DISCONNECT (in the Camera Control Window, Setup tab) before you can change the threading settings.

7. David Holko

I am still trying to understand this, when and why would camera 1 be taking this image of the movement caused by the guide camera (camera 2) as it calibrates ? I normally slew to the target, take a 10 second shot and plate solve to review the framing, then do the guide star calibration. The plate solve image look normal. What causes Camera 1 to expose at the same time the guide camera is doing thing ?

8. David Holko

Well, neither one of the cameras have those boxes checked. So I don't need to go back there.

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Contact QHYCCD for help. Its a problem with the camera or its driver.
    MaxIm works with literally hundreds of cameras.
    I think the QHY is not properly clearing the image sensor before the start of the exposure; so you're getting remnants.