What is the 1x1 binning download speed on the STF8300EN?

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by David Allmon, Jun 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. David Allmon

David Allmon Standard User

I am running the camera off a Raspberry Pi. I have a low quality WiFi connection to the Pi. It takes about 10 to 20 seconds to download a 17MB image. I think that is reasonable, and include it for reference only.

I connected the camera directly to my Linux workstation and I get downloads of 0.09 to 0.10 seconds. I remember it taking a little less than a second before. Dark frames have a darker vertical band near the left edge - barely discernible with a stretch. It throws off the flat field, which then throws off the image. There seems to be more pattern noise than before, too. Is my camera in some weird high speed mode, or am I imagining things..?
    Thanks,
    Dave Allmon

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Dave, sounds like something is wrong.
    The STF-8300 normally digitizes at 10 megapixels/second, so it should be just under a second for digitization - so I'd expect about 1 second.
    What software/drivers are you using to run the camera?
    Are you sure you are getting the full frame, and not a subframe/region of interest?

3. David Allmon

It is definitely full frame. They are 17MB files. I'm using kstars/ekos/indi. I'll move it back to the Raspberry Pi and see if it goes back to normal operation.
    Thanks for the quick response.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hmmm... using all tricks available (eg overlapping digitization/download) at best you might shave 0.5s off the time when doing back-to-back images; so you still should be seeing at least 0.5s.
    Sorry I can't provide any additional input.

5. David Allmon

Colin,
    I put it back on a Raspberry Pi and it gets 2.5 second downloads, which is well within reason. I think there is a problem with my Linux box and its USB, and not with the camera.
    Thanks for your help!

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, good luck.