Will SBIG cameras work over this USB to Ethernet device

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by JoshuaHufford, Jul 31, 2022.

1. JoshuaHufford

JoshuaHufford Cyanogen Customer

I've been contemplating buying a small fanless PC and mounting it on top of my mount/scope to minimize the length of cable runs and the amount or wires that need to move with the mount. I had someone on another forum that uses this device as an alternative to that.

https://www.silextechnology.com/connectivity-solutions/device-connectivity/ds-600

I would have to use a USB hub which I'm not crazy about but I've had very good success with StarTech Industrial Hubs. I'm currently running an ST-8300 and an STi guide camera. Would these cameras work over this device? If so what about newer SBIG cameras? I don't want to limit upgrade potential down the road. There would be a few other USB devices in use as well such as my focus controller and a USB to serial adapter for my Dew Heater controller.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You would just have to try it... can't guarantee a nonstandard configuration that we haven't tested.

I have a PrimaluceLab Eagle 4 Pro on my telescope. Can't say enough good things about it. Way better than the fanless PC I was using previously.

3. JoshuaHufford

Thanks Doug. Would it be safe to say that you don't see any obvious reason why it won't work?

I've looked at the PrimaluceLab before and while it is really nice it is a bit out of my budget right now. We are building a home soon and trying to do it with as little debt as possible so luxuries like that will have to wait.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Bottom line: it may work just fine if they have good hardware and especially good quality drivers.

On the other hand, if you run into problems with it, we aren't going to be able to help. If the camera works when plugged into the computer, but doesn't work or is unreliable when plugged into the extender, then we're going to tell you to remove the extender.

Make sure it's rated for industrial temperature range. If it's a desktop unit then it will fail when the temperature drops below freezing.

5. Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick Cyanogen Customer

A raspberry Pi-4 with the VirtualHere USB Arm specific driver worked well with an STL-1100, ST402 with serial to USB based focuser and mount. The remote USB devices appeared as local devices via TCP-IP ethernet. The PI4 stayed warm enough thru the winter outside with scope. An STC-7 would overrun the Pi and failed. Trying USB-2 port on the Pi - didn't help. Wireshark appeared to show this was due to buffer overruns. Probably to much memory and I/O demand when USB (input) and Ethernet (output) is blasting at the same time.

The mfg has a support line, they may have some experience with cameras on their device servers.

Best,
    Tim

6. JoshuaHufford

Thank you very much for your help, and certainly I wouldn't expect you to offer support if my camera works fine with a direct connection and not with this.