Won't connect or see filter wheel

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by mike shade, Oct 30, 2022.

1. mike shade

mike shade Cyanogen Customer

Aluma AC4040 and FW7 filter wheel, SC1300 guider. The DL config sees the components. Going into Maxim 6.28, trying to connect to camera it gives me an error message box "error opening filter wheel filter wheel not connected". In the camera one box it says "SetMin exposure error in guide camera plugin". It says the same thing for camera 2. Going into the setup for camera 1, camera is DL imaging. Going into the advanced tab, it shows both cameras, there is an asterisk next to the guider. Going into the setup filter tab, the filters are named and numbered. Under filter and controlling camera model, it says DLimaging +FW. Going into the advanced tab, where it shows FW setup, in the box it says "Wheel 1 (Unknown FW)". The area under, where it says slot/name is blank.

W7 system, cameras/Optec Gemini/Astro-Physics 1600GTO run from an Icron Ranger. Everything else connects. This problem just started. Have replaced USB cable, powered off, anything I can think of. Reinstalled the drivers. Nothing.

As an aside, my trusty STL6303E connects right up, no problems whatsoever.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can you confirm the following:
    - Is the FW7-STX plugged into the AC4040?
    - Firmware version in AC4040 v13
    - DL Imaging Driver version eg 2.4.0.0
    MaxIm - Help... Check for Updates. 6.30 is current.

The * indicates which of the many cameras is selected. It may be you've gotten these swapped and that's why its failing.
    Fix:
    Camera Control Window, Setup tab, Camera 1, click [Setup Camera]
    Setup DL Imaging. Click [Advanced...].
    DL :: Config comes up.
    In the list of devices, double click the AC4040. This will associate Camera 1 to this device.
    [Ok]
    [OK]

Then repeat for Camera 2, and set it to the SC3.

3. mike shade

Yes it is plugged in. When camera unplugged/off, checked plug it was snugly attached.

AC4040 firmware 13

Driver 2.40

Version is 6.28, will update when I get around to it.

As I offered it did work, and I tried everything I could. I'm not sure how things might have gotten off. I am at the point with getting the system going of letting ACP run with a simple plan to make sure everyone is happy. Nothing like coming out and seeing a telescope planted against the pier...Been there done that.

Will try the fix, suggested above. Thank you.

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, let us know how it turns out.
    Yes, it's important Camera 1 is AC4040* and Camera 2 is SC1300*.

Also, there's a possibility there's a file that needs to be deleted, a holdover from a prior install.
    Check this folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Diffraction Limited\MaxIm DL 6
    If you see dlapi.dll please delete it.
    dlapi_unwanted.png
    There should be a copy in C:\Windows\System32

5. mike shade

So I did the procedure originally outlined with assigning camera 1, and camera 2. I also found the file offered above and deleted it. So as of now it it seems that the 4040 is camera 1, the guider camera 2. I don't know which of the procedures did the trick, but it seems to working now. As I offered I have no idea as to how things got screwy but have been working to get things up and running, which has been a chore. Thank you so much will try everything tonight. We are of course slated to get a storm with clouds/wind/snow for the next several days, so it has to be fixed.

6. mike shade

Another thing that I have checked/done is check the USB power management. Of course, SBIG camera allowed the power to be shutoff...so it seems that after a reboot, it turns that back ON so I have to go in manually and shut it OFF again. Everything else is off, but the camera was turned back on. Just another thing...

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Don't worry about the camera, it seems to pop back on... and is a bit of a mystery why at the moment - seen this a couple times.
    Usually the hubs/root hub/PCIe host device are the problem.

8. mike shade

There may be a more serious problem. It seems that when the camera/guider/filter wheel is connected, after a time it will lock the computer up. Mouse won't move, CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing, have to power it off manually. I am not 100% sure, but the computer sits running 24/7 in the control room with no problem with no camera connected. I currently have the STL6303E hooked up and running, has been for 41 minutes, no problem. Will let it go a bit longer. Earlier had the 4040 hooked up, and it locked the computer up. It has done this several times now but need to establish with 100% confidence...I am about 90% at the moment. I have changed power management for the USB devices so they don't shut off. Also I am running USB 2, Icron Ranger 2304. Everything else hooked up to it is running quite happily. I hope this isn't the case...we'll see. Thanks,