Can a ST10XME work with a FW8?

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by RussD, Apr 27, 2018.

1. RussD

RussD Standard User

I have two trusty SBIG ST10XME cameras with the CFW9s on each. But as I am getting o-ring failures about twice per year when the weather changes drastically. The motor pressure becomes either too tight which grinds into the O-ring or too light-and the wheel does not turn. I am wanting to switch to a different filter wheel entirely. Ideally I would like to try the FW8 or another option that does not use a friction based O ring setup. The FW8 might fit the bill if it can be attached. Can it work?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Russ

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Our moden wheels are electrically compatible. Mechanical compatibility is a different story. You would have to put together whatever adapter needed to hook them together.

3. RussD

RussD Standard User

Does the FW8 have threads or screw hole mounts etc to attach to the camera? I dont see an option on Preciseparts to make the connection so it would be tough to figure out an option without a detailed drawing of the FW8 etc. Is that something that you could provide?

Thanks

Russ

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We have several FW8 models. Which one are you interested in?

5. RussD

RussD Standard User

I am not wedded to any particular model. I do not need guiding or even large filters as all of my filters now are 1.25. All I need is a filter wheel that can be made to work does not use a friction drive and does not take up more than about 1 inch back focus.
    I was looking at the FW8-8300 .

Would an adapter plate such as this one connect the ST10XME to the FW8-8300 ? I do have a T-thread adapter for the camera.
    http://diffractionlimited.com/product/adapter-plate-t-thread/

Russ

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

All wheels except FW7-STX are designed to replace the front cover of the camera. A custom adapter would be required.

FW8-8300 is a friction drive. You would want FW8S-STT or FW8S-Aluma. They have belt drive.