Have lost all power LED indicator on camera, and camera is only partially functional

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by DMaury, Nov 25, 2016.

1. DMaury

DMaury Standard User

I’ve just purchased a new STX 16803 package, and it had been working perfectly for about one week, and on the first moonless night last night, when I went to connect the camera to the software, it would connect via USB, but have zero temperature control, and would not turn on in any program whether I try Maxim DL, TheSkyX Pro, or even CCDops.

I can however disconnect the camera, and then reconfigure it for Ethernet and then in these various programs, temperature control is reactivated, however it will not image. The filter wheel controls as normal, and I can see the shutter open and close, however the image that downloads appears almost like a bias image. Shining a flashlight directly onto the sensor while exposing produces the same near black image.

I’m suspecting a power supply problem, as I am not getting a single power indicator light coming on on the camera, despite the camera powering up and fan working and cooling via Ethernet. I am using the stock brand-new power brick and cable that came with the camera and is less than two weeks old.
    Has anyone run across a problem like this?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That's really very strange. You've got some power, but the indicator LEDs aren't on.

Any chance you could measure the output from the power brick? It should be around 12V.

If it's not the brick, then my best guess is the +5VA power supply regulator inside the camera. If that died it would disable the circuit that lights up the power LEDs, trigger the cooler shutdown safety feature, and also disable CCD readout. But the digital circuits would still be operating, so... probably that's what's going on here.

That's a really unusual failure mode. We "burn in" the cameras prior to shipment to try and catch any early component part failures like that.

It may have to go in to Bill for service.

3. DMaury

DMaury Standard User

I'm emailing Bill now. Thanks for the fast and informative reply Doug!