[RESOLVED] 6303 Single horizontal line issue

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Jim Morse, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Jim Morse

Jim Morse Cyanogen Customer

SBIG,

Not sure if this is typical or not but wanted to run it by you. I have a new STXL6303E that you guys repaired for me back in May. Since getting it back it works fine except that in virtually every light frame image I take, there is one horizontal line about a third of the way across the image field. It moves to a new location on every image so I can remove them with rejection algorithms but its not something I ran across with my other SBIG CCDs in the past. It almost looks like there was some electronic interference reading out that one line.

Any thoughts? If you want an example just let me know.

Best,

Jim Morse

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Can you post a typical example in FITS format?

3. Jim Morse

Doug,

Here are some examples. Size restrictions required me to cut the actual images way down to just the portion around the line. Its probably happening about every 3 or 4 images on average. The rest are fine.

Thanks,

Jim

Attached Files:

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It is some kind of electrical interference. What do you have the power cord plugged into? Are you running the DC power cables through a mount, and if so what wiring are you using?

5. Jim Morse

CCD Is plugged directly into an outlet. No cables running through the mount.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Odd. Try bringing your camera indoors and doing some dark frames on your desk. Preferably with a different PC. See if the problem persists in a different environment.

If the behavior does persist then it may have to come in for service.

7. Pablotwa

Pablotwa Standard User

It could be a USB issue if you have many USB devices using one port through a hub, consider changing the usb input OR disconnecting all USB devices..I had a similar problem with a STi Mono...just saying..sorry to but in. Best!

8. Hobby Astronomer

Hobby Astronomer Cyanogen Customer

Thanks a million for the tip. Solved my problem.